This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

University of Arizona freshman is taking advantage of university offered programs in order to make her transition to college easier.

Laura Miller, a freshman from California, came to the UA knowing only three other students. Miller, who originally planned on attending school on the east coast came to Tucson unsure about many aspects of her college experience.

Miller is currently undeclared in her major and she is taking steps to figure out exactly where her interests fit in best in the professional world.

The UA is offering freshman students a workshop, for class credit, called “Success Starts Here.” It is a class “designed to provide practical application of current research about college transition strategies,” according to the UA.

Miller said that the class has already taught her valuable strategies when it comes to procrastination, developing relationships with university facility, and recognizing the skills she has and what major they would fit best in.

“I think its important for freshman to have a space where they can learn these types of lessons,” said Miller.

Miller is also encouraging other freshman to take their time when it comes to choosing which major they will ultimately work best in and that there is no rush in making this decision. 

She thinks that university provided help is also very important and activities such as greek life, student run clubs, the thinktank, and the campus recreational center are all opportunities for freshman to transition into college life easily.

“The U of A has already provided me with so many idea’s of what I could do with my life,” said Miller. “This is only the beginning!”

Miller hopes that more freshman students will take advantage of university offered insight when it comes to planning out their career. Simple things like meeting with an advisor, taking general eduction classes that actually interest the student, and being mindful of which clubs and organizations are for them can save a student time and money in the long run. 

My name is Kristine and I'm a sophmore at the University of Arizona!