Band “Limbo” playing this Saturday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Check out Limbo, a band, featuring U A student, Parker McLaughlin. a sophomore majoring in music. He has been producing music since high school. He says “I produce, program drums and samples,  write and rap.” Other members include Austin Scates, Shane Lilly, and Bret Seamans. McLaughlin describes their music as “a mash up between hip hop and a live band/ acid Jazz/jazz rock.” The band includes vocals, guitar, bass, and drums. Parker’s friends approached him last spring, they recruited this past summer, and since then they have been working on ideas. Their name “Limbo,” comes from a lyric in one of the first songs they recorded. Parker explains his lyrics: “Most of my writings lean towards cynicism of my contemporaries, while trying to outline alternative, more honest ways of approaching music by paying homage to the aesthetics that I have developed from all of my influences.” His own favorite song, “Artsy Jargon,” as McLaughlin explains, pertains to the destruction and reconstruction of the music industry and his fanciful opinions on the trends that have shaped popular music in the past decade. McLaughlin said his influences include surrealism, Marxism, Buddhism and everything in between…today’s America, today’s youth, fashion and music trends. If he had to compare their sound to other music, he mentions LA underground rap, early Anticon records, Zappa bootlegs, and the Grateful Dead.

UPCOMING SHOW!
Want to see Limbo perform? Limbo is playing at the Dry River Collective this Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 @ 9pm$10. Limbo is opening for Nocando, from Project Blowed(Legendary L.A. based hip- hop workshop)

Listen to their music at http://facebook.com/LIMBOaz

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.