5 Don’ts for Vegas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

With Labor day weekend quickly approaching, there is one place many college students are planning to go: Las Vegas baby! For those students of age to party there is plenty to indulge in. Apart from the obvious opportunities to dance the night away at the luxurious clubs, Vegas has a unique variety of upscale restaurants, intricate shows and 24/7 fun. With so much to do in only four days, Hercampus has mapped out a couple things that might slip your mind:

1. Don’t think DUI’s won’t come back with you: The phrase “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” will not hold true for alcohol consumption behind the wheel. Las Vegas just employed a new task force to help break the cycle of drunk driving tourists. With the mass amount of people expected to be partying for the holiday weekend, DUI check points and motorcyclist cops on the strip will be in full force, so take cabs or burn those beer calories and walk!

1. Don’t think free drinks are without cost: Ladies be weary of those guys buying you those $15 cocktails one after the other. Sexual assaults can still happen in a city designated for fun. Play it safe and always order your drinks from the bar yourself. If you feel someone is getting to close for comfort at the club tell the bouncers immediately.

1. Don’t Blow through money: If you’re a college student on a tight budget, be aware of your expenses in Vegas. Prices in the casinos for things like snacks, or cameras are doubled. Vegas souvenirs aren’t the cheapest items either so really think if that Vegas t-shirt is worth it or settle with something smaller like a shot glass.

1. Don’t forget to drink water: It may sound silly, but Las Vegas is a desert just like Tucson. Temperatures have been up to the 110-degree mark this summer. If you plan on drinking by the pool, make sure you drink water and eat right or chances are you wont make it out that night.

1. Don’t bring the plaid shirt: For those newbies to Vegas who are interested in the nightlife be prepared. Most nightclubs, especially headliners like XS or Marquee require a dress code to enter. If you think tennis shoes and plaid shirts are going to make the cut, try again. For gentleman make sure you pack a pair of dress shoes and a button down and for the ladies, break out those sexy heels!

Here are resources to check out:
www.visitasvegas.com
www.lasvegas.com
www.lasvegasnevada.gov

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.