A Glimpse into Spring: Recreating Designer Style From Your Own Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Even though it seems like spring has already settled in on Boone over the last couple of weeks, in reality, it’s only February, which gives all of us shopaholics plenty of time to prep our wardrobes for spring’s real appearance.

If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly looking for new outfit inspiration. I have found that one of the best places to find that new ‘it’ look is in designers’ ready-to-wear collections for the upcoming season. While most of us may not be able to afford that gorgeous designer sundress at Nordstrom or Saks, we can all use it as a source of inspiration to create cute fashion-forward looks that are 100 percent our own. Here are a few of our favorite Spring 2012 Ready-to-Wear collections and how to do them yourself for a lot less.

DKNY:

Donna Karen out does herself this season with eccentric prints and colors contrasted with neutrals and minimalistic silhouettes. DKNY’s Spring 2012 RTW line is all about bright pops of fuchsia, indigo, and fire-engine red. The look is, at times, lightweight and airy with sheer flowing fabrics and, other times, very structured with tailored jackets and two-piece ensembles. DKNY tops all of their looks off with large floppy hats that are perfect for that sunny, 70-something day.

So what is the key to conquering a DKNY look for less? Experiment with bold prints and colors and try pairing tops and bottoms that have similar color schemes. While it may seem excessive, bright pantone colors on top of each other can create a daring, look-at-me outfit that will soon be the envy of the entire campus.

[pagebreak]

Chlo
é:
Chloé, classically known for her masterful use of a neutral palette, catches our attention again with her Spring 2012 RTW line. Think clean lines and colors with subtle infusions of aquamarine, coral, and burgundy. The look successfully combines two of this season’s hottest trends: the drop waist and pleats. Chloé’s incredible use of detail and color makes the line light, delicate, and totally appropriate for a casual spring day in Boone.

Want to mimic Chloé for cheap? Easy. Take a cute pair of white or khaki pleated shorts and pair it with a lightweight sheer top. Brighten the look up with a pop of color on your shoes, jewelry, or bag and suddenly you have a coveted Chloé look for a lot less.

Twenty8Twelve:

Inspired by YSL’s safari chic looks and August in Ibiza, Twenty8Twelve’s Spring 2012 RTW line is young, fresh, and extremely relevant to the 20-something college student. The line values comfort and functionality as it plays with pops of bright yellow, chambray, and light embroidered cottons. Rompers, playsuits, boyfriend jeans, and high-waisted skirts make this line feminine, pretty, and fashion-forward all at the same time.

Want to wear Twenty8Twelve Boone style? Simply grab your favorite pair of boyfriend jeans, roll up the pant legs and pair them with a bright patterned top. Finish the look with a blazer and your most comfortable pair of flats and you have a great transitional ensemble for those off days when the weather simply cannot make up its mind.

Anybody can buy an outfit right off the mannequin and look amazing in it; however, the reality is not all of us can afford such luxuries. If you want to look like a million bucks for a lot less, look no further than your own closet. With a little mixing and matching, you will be able to add a designer feel to your closet without that nagging buyers’ remorse.

All images from www.style.com

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!