Your New Best Friend: Meet Rachel Siler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name- Rachel Siler

Hometown– Indian Trail NC

Year- Freshman

Major- Nursing

Involvement- ADPI, RUF (Reformed University Fellowship)

Have you met App’s coolest new Freshman? Well, let me tell you all about the amazing  Rachel Siler.

Like most people, Rachel knows what she wants to be when she grows up, but unlike most she decided when she was in the hospital. When she was in tenth grade, she broke out in hives  and had to go to the hospital but she had so many questions and found the whole thing so fascinating she didn’t want to leave! She decided to become a nurse which requires a 3.7 GPA here at App. 

When Rachel isn’t studying, she likes to stay active! She loves running, hiking and skiing, and, of course, watching “Grey’s Anatomy” and “The Bachelor” in her spare time.

Rachel totally loves App State. “Oh my gosh it’s so awesome. There’s stuff to do no matter the season. You can hike, run, ski, snowboard, and even just driving on the parkway is beautiful. The whole place is beautiful and I love the laid back atmosphere App has.”

Like most people, Rachel has life goals, but her life goals might not be what you’d expect. She wants a family with four plus kids, (at least one adopted)  wants to live for a year or two at the beach, and she wants to keep doing mission work.  Other goals include renovating a house (she loves HDTV), learning how to cook something substantial, and running a marathon at some point.

Of course, she has relationship goals too. She wants her future relationship to be like that of Joanna and Chip Gaines (from HDTV’s “Fixer Upper”.) She has a boyfriend who is also a freshman here named Ben. The key to a relationship, she says, is communication and trust.

Reading is so important; she never throws books away because she wants to have lots of books. Her favorite book is Pride and Prejudice.

Some random things about Rachel are that she would love to own chickens because they are awesome and she wants the eggs. “But not 1,000, I just want like ten,” Rachel said.   A farm and horses would be cool. “I love animals, maybe I should marry a vet.”

She also wants dogs but not small yappy dogs, something like a Lab. Also on her wish list are having Carrie Underwood’s legs and the voice of Adele.  She loves to get on Pinterest, eating M&M’s,  fuzzy socks and Taylor Swift. 

Rachel is the coolest, quirkiest person and a great friend to have, making her the ultimate roommate!

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.