Victoria Secret Fashion Show: Sexy or Too Skinny?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Last night was no ordinary Tuesday night for me. After my classes ended, I decided to get some homework done, attend an exercise class, and settle down at 9:30 to watch some TV. Little did I know, right around 9 o’clock in the middle of my fitness class, my apartment turned into a bar scene, packed with a bunch of crazy guys getting rowdy over a basketball game and the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Needless to say, the game quickly took second priority to the sight of six-foot something models prancing down the runway in practically no clothing.  

I will be the first to admit that some of these girls are hot and have amazing bodies; however, I was extremely unimpressed by the vast majority of them. Yes, they are all gorgeous, after all, they are Victoria’s Secret models, but seriously guys, some of these girls are WAY too skinny. It was absolutely disgusting to watch the guys in my living room, all wide-eyed and drooling over these girls, when half of them clearly hadn’t eaten a bite of anything in about two weeks. I had to applaud the select few guys who made comments such as, “someone get that girl a sandwich!” or, “that girl is disgusting, completely fake from head to toe.”

Coming from a girl who is very serious about eating right and exercising 2-3 times a week, these girls looked unhealthy. And to think about all of the young women out there who are so unhappy with their bodies that they resort to unhealthy habits such as bulimia and anorexia. Believe it or not, these disorders are more common than you think and happen A LOT among college women in particular. I am not trying to scorn my guy friends because, after all, they are guys, and no straight guy is going to turn down watching half-naked models, but I really wish more of us hard-working, exercise-savvy, average females were represented on the runway.

That got me thinking; how many people would actually watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show if us normal girls that way over 100 pounds were to be on the runway? That is a question I obviously cannot answer but interesting to think about nonetheless.

Okay, so there is a moral to this story. To all of the young women that sat down and watched the fashion show and thought, “why can’t I look like that?” my question to you is: Why would you want to? Why would you want to be so thin that every bone in your body shows? If you want to get into shape and feel great about yourself, do it in a healthy way. Make sure you are eating three well-balanced meals a day and getting plenty of exercise in when you get the chance. Looking great is all about confidence, and by implementing some healthy habits into your life, your confidence will surely skyrocket. So, stay healthy ladies! And don’t wish to be anyone but yourself!

photo from: http://samknowsgoodlook.blogspot.com/2010/11/victorias-secret-fashion-sh…

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!