Things I Learned My Freshman Year at Appalachian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Things I learned my freshman year at Appalachian State.Tips to the incoming freshmen.

Don’t bring your entire wardrobe.So…it turns out you actually will be returning home throughout the year, regardless of how many times you told yourself that college was so awesome and you never wanted to go back. That being said, you don’t really need 12 pairs of jeans or 16 pairs of shoes. Remember, some of the dorm rooms on Appalachian’s campus are smaller than what is legally allowed for two prisoners to share, so your clothes will take over your life if you bring too many.

Do purchase clothes that are weather appropriate and durable.Welcome to Boone, kiddos. It’s all about function over style now. One minute it’s pouring rain, and the next minute, it’s 65 and sunny out. Take it from people who have survived a full year (because we’re practically veterans now), Boone weather is the worst thing a freshman can go through. Our suggestions? Don’t fool yourself into thinking your monogrammed slick pull over is going to protect you- actually invest in a good rain jacket, good rain boots, and a good winter coat. Waterproof everything, and always keep an extra rain slicker or umbrella in your book bag. Always. Bean boots or anything similar are the best idea because they are functional in both rain and snow.

By the way, everyone looks fat in winter attire, get over it.

Always have a hair tie handy.The wind in Boone is relentless. Yes, the wind and your hair have probably attempted murder on you atleast, you know, when the wind casually blows all of your hair forward, blinding you as you try to cross the road or walk down stairs.Sometimes it feels like a workout trying to walk against the wind! And when it’s cold, it feels like tiny knives on your face. And yes, we have all actually been angry at the wind….an inanimate object. Admit it.

Don’t wear shorts or dresses to class too often.Unless you’re a super model, your thighs probably touch, meaning as you walk around, both shorts and a dress will ride up. Everything in Boone is uphill, making walking with shorts even more unpleasant. Plus, let’s be real ladies, sitting on plastic chairs in lecture class makes legs sweat like no other…gross! Too many times have we all seen the poor unfortunate girl who is wearing a dress that has been eaten by the bottom of her book bag, thus exposing her entire bare bottom as she walks to class. *We are still cringing for you girly*. Stick with leggings, they are comfy and basically pants anyways.

You really don’t need to curl your hair or wear a full face of makeup every day to class.We get it girl! You’re here for the MRS. Degree, (just kidding) but the truth is, you’re perfectly gorgeous without the full face of foundation. Skip the makeup once in a while, because honestly, no one in your classes really cares. It is important to look presentable for your classes sometimes, because after all, professors do appreciate it. Definitely go all out for presentations, or big class events, but don’t feel panicked if you wake up late and don’t have time to go the full nine yards. Everyone here is super nice, and you’ll find that most girls are more natural anyways.

Greek life can be a complex thing.So Greek life and joining a sorority may be the most exciting and intimidating thing you’ll ever encounter throughout your first years in college. At Appalachian, Greek life is completely different from other schools. It’s much smaller, and it is definitely a campus minority. Many argue that the High Country just isn’t the place for backwards-hat-frats or monogrammed-adorned-srats, but there’s typically much more to these organizations than just the surface appearance.

Chacos actually aren’t that comfortable.From walking up hills, down stairs, and through puddles of rain, Chacos may seem like the durable best choice for footwear. However, more often than not, the tread on them actually can rub your feet raw, or cause discomfort due to lack of support. Invest in some good tennis shoes and save the Chacos for cute pictures later on. Classes are spread out, so I recommend you stick with comfy sneakers over the sandals. 

Coffee will kill your meal plan.Yes, we all know. Who doesn’t love coffee? A yummy mocha freeze from the library shop, or even a chocolate cappuccino from Crossroads are heaven in a cup. The truth is, they weigh in at $5 a pop, and sometimes can contain up to 500 calories. They’re bad for your wallet and you’re waistline. Treat yourself once in a while, but go for the Americano, a hot green tea, or the house drip to save you cash and calories.

Take advantage of the library, tutoring services, and study groups.Make friends in your classes, and collaborate. Minds that work together are way more productive than those that do not. Always make sure you have someone to text in case you miss class. Also, having friends in your classes keeps you accountable, who doesn’t love the, “where are you?!” texts from friends? Do your homework, and stay on top of things. Get out of your room, away from the distractions, and go to the library where you can work in peace. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, you aren’t going to always understand everything, and your tuition pays tutors for that very reason. Finally, if you do make a bad grade, communicate with your professors. Professors here are wonderful about working with students regardless of how lost or behind they may be. Form relationships early, and stand out in their mind so that when something comes up, they are more likely to be understanding.

It’s just the first year.Take a deep breath. You can’t win all your battles, keep all your friends, make straight A’s, and be in six clubs at once. Eventually, you have to fall asleep. Yes, it’s great to be involved and work as hard as possible, but don’t burn yourself out. Gradual involvement looks way better on a resume than failing grades. Take everything one step at a time. This was just your first year here. Maybe your roommate situation didn’t work out like you planned, and that’s okay! You have three more long years to live with friends or people that you love. Maybe you got a few bad grades, and that’s also okay, you have three more years to pull those up or retake classes. Maybe things didn’t work out with the on and off guy that you’ve had for a while, and that’s also okay. Take each month one day at a time, and learn to go with the flow. Every once in a while, take a minute to look around wherever you are. At most places on campus, you can see the beautiful mountains that surround you in Boone. When the sun finally begins to shine as the semester ends, regardless of what you’ve been through this year, you will know that you are where you belong.

Photo Source:https://www.tumblr.com/search/snowbesityhttps://twistedsifter.files.word…

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.