This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Sarah KasperMajor: Public Relations, CommunicationsYear: SeniorHometown: Matthews, NCHobbies: Music, fitness, travel, hiking, netflix (yes, that’s a hobby)

Q: What have you been a part of on Appalachian’s campus?

A: I was in color guard in the marching band my freshman year and reperatory orchestra for two years. I was a Resident Assistant in Hoey Hall. I have been involved with APPS heavily including exec, SOUL (orientation leader), red flag campaign, SDAP as a mentor, and PRSSA. 

Basically I have done a little bit of everything!

Q: What is your favorite App State memory?

A: My favorite AppState memory was actually losing Homecoming Queen in 2013. This sounds utterly ridiculous but that day was the best day I can remember here on campus. I got to bring my friend’s corgi along with me in the parade and he wore this adorable bow tie. The best part though was tailgating and going to the game surrounded by such amazing friends and family. I still go through pictures of that day to relive it. In fact, my picture for this was taken that very day. You can see how happy and full of laughter that day was!

Q: How how your involvement with ASU Dance Marathon benefitted you?

A: Dance Marathon has been my most defining involvement. Even when I took a year off school, I came back to Boone to be a Dance Captain. The impact the event has on our community is so inspiring and helps so many people but it also helped inspire me as well. I got involved when I was an elementary education major since I love working with children and this even helped make me realize I was in the wrong field. I am now pursuing a degree so I can work in the non-profit sector and live out my dream, one I thought I had done with teaching but discovered it was not the right fit for me.

Q: What mark do you hope to leave on Appalachian’s campus?

A: I am not sure what mark I will leave, but one I hope is that to show everyone does not have the same four year cookie cutter experience. Being a non-traditional student and having took some time off before returning to Appalachian, I want to prove to others that college is so much more than your degree and not everything is going to go according to plan. And that is actually a great thing.

Q: What are a few of your future aspirations?

A: I want to move to NYC and work for Barkbox. I want to adopt every homeless dog in the world but I don’t think that is as obtainable of an aspiration. I also have a secret but now not so secret aspiration of becoming a voice actor.

I am a senior at Appalachian State studying International Public Relations and International Business. My interests include traveling, photography & baton twirling. Email me at MindyHayton@gmail.com.