This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Samantha Bender

Celeb Status: Positive Post-It Day | http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kaitlyn-russell/positive-postit-note-day-_…

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Philadelphia, P.A.

Activities: Cheerleader, Student Ambassador, Student Orientation Leader, Women of Walker

Q: What was your inspiration behind the Positive Post-It movement?

A: Having the title of a leader on campus in so many different capacities gives me a chance to serve the university at an incredible level. I love Appalachian, and I would love to make a difference here. This semester, with so many tragedies occurring on campus, I wondered if I was being a leader in the right ways. I didn’t know any other way to reach out to everyone. This idea just struck me as beautiful in its own simplistic-feasible way. 

Q: Your event yielded so many positive reactions. Have you considered making this an annual event?

A: The event spread like wild fire. First from one building to the next, then to the surrounding elementary schools, state news stations, and all the way back to my high school in Philadelphia. I was in awe. I really didn’t think it would be this big at all. It shows me that our campus is definitely in need of some uplifting at times. This event will occur in the beginning of every spring semester to help fight that 2nd semester “where is summer?” slump. 

Q: What other ways are you reaching out to make the Appalachian Community a positive one?

A: Positivity, to me, is not an action. It’s a lifestyle. It’s a contagious routine. I hope that just by living an optimistic, upbeat life on a daily basis that I can encourage positivity in the Appalachian Community. 

Q: Tell me about your role as a SOUL leader. 

A: I had a great orientation experience myself. Mostly because I felt so out of place and terrified to leave home, but I came to the conclusion that everyone else did too. I would have never imagined I would have the opportunity to serve as a SOUL. They are 24 of the most down-to-earth, diverse, knowledgeable students that I have ever met. The orientation experience from the other side has been incredible. I really wanted to be a positive influence on the incoming students. My students always taught me more than I could ever teach them!  

Q: What made you decide to be an Ambassador?

A: One day I was working in the coffee shop when a young girl and her mom came in and sat down. They were looking over their App pamphlet. Once I realized they were in their post-tour and the young girl was a prospective student, I was immediately drawn to them. I told her my story about Appalachian and all I thought it had to offer and she left beaming. I realized that when you’re so passionate about something, it’s not hard for that passion to rub off on others. That’s when I knew I wanted to serve as an Ambassador. I actually went through the process twice before I was offered a position! That has definitely helped me to appreciate every little detail about being in the group. Being a new member, my brain is so full of Appalachian facts, I could recite them in my sleep. The group is just a super welcoming, respectful organization. I’m ecstatic to be a part of it.

Q: What advice would you give to other Mountaineers who might be going through a difficult time and are afraid to reach out for support? 

A: To all my mountaineers going through a hard-time, first, know that we’ve all been there (contrary to popular belief). Pick up a journal. Journaling has help me reflect on my past and future. It puts previous events into perspective which made me realize things were often a lot less tough than they seemed. It also helped me to look forward to better times and work toward a better me. Even more important, go do something for someone else. You’ll be amazed with how different you feel after completing an act of kindness that you know can never be returned. College is really a time to discover yourself – who and what is important, discover your passions, what your strengths are and sometimes most importantly, what they are not. It is okay to have weaknesses. It’s all a part of being human and growing up. It helps to remember that when bad times come, they will pass. Just like Boone weather, we’ve got to see the ugly to also experience the beautiful.  

Ashley Chaves is a senior at Appalachian State University, where she is working towards earning her degree in Professional Writing with a minor in Public Relations. She will be graduating in May of 2015 and is aiming to find a job where she can build upon and showcase her writing skills. She has many passions including writing, reading, Shih Tzus, and cooking. In her spare time she enjoys planning her life away on Pinterest and blogging on her personal blog.