Meet Josh Elliott of Wine to Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Wine To Water (WTW) is a local non-profit organization based out of Boone, NC that focuses on providing clean water and adequate sanitation to needy people around the world. Josh Elliott, a senior and Communication major of Appalachian State University, created the first official Wine To Water campus club for a university. Read about his involvement with Wine To Water, how he’s helping to change our world, and how you can get involved, too.

Q: How did you first get involved with Wine To Water?
A: 
I heard about it through a couple of friends back in 2009. We went to hear one of their employees talk about the water crisis and were pretty blown away that nearly 1 billion people lacked access to clean water. 

Q: What is your involvement with Wine To Water currently?
A: 
I am currently working for their wine director and heading up some of the volunteer relations, specifically with college students. 

Q: What has been your favorite experience with Wine To Water?
A: 
I was able to go down to Peru last year and see a water project first hand. We distributed water filters and got to personally connect with the people benefiting; it was truly life changing. 

Q: What inspired you to start a Wine To Water club at Appalachian?
A: 
Well, when I heard about the magnitude of the water crisis I was pretty beat up about it. I had a few beers with a friend and we decided that the best thing we could do as students was to get more students behind the cause. It kind of took off from there and we had our first event a few weeks later.

[pagebreak]

Q: Are there any other Wine To Water campus clubs?
A: 
Yes, there’s one at North Carolina State University and several others in the process of forming. A few are LSU, Washington State, and Arizona State.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about Doc Hendley’s new book?
A: 
Doc, the founder of WTW, was able to chronicle his story and how WTW came to be, in a book that comes out in January. It’s a true underdog story that challenges the everyday ordinary person to go out and do the extraordinary. 

Q: What should we be looking forward to from Wine To Water?
A: 
They just came out with five new wine varietals, Doc’s book is coming out, and we have universities all over the country wanting to help support the mission. I think it’s going to be a huge year for them, so if you want to be a part of it, the WTW team would love to have the support whether you’re a college student or a stay-at-home mom. 

Q: If students or the public would like to get involved, how should they do so?
A: 
Check out winetowater.org or find them through social media. They have a Twitter and a Facebook under the name Wine To Water. It’s a genuinely good organization and I hope you will challenge me in saying that by researching them and the water crisis.

More on Wine To Water
Wine To Water started in 2004 by Doc Hendley with the original concept of implementing benefit wine events, such as tastings, to raise money and support water projects around the world. They have grown to distributing their own wine label, holding various fundraisers, and have traveled to nine countries to provide clean water and sanitation including Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia, India, Cambodia, Peru, and Haiti.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!