The Man Who Does It All: Meet Oscar Reyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Year: Senior

Majors: Molecular/Cell Biology and Chemistry, Pre-med

Hometown: Waxhaw, NC

Activites:  Anything outdoors, intermural sports

Relationship Status: Single

Oscar Reyes is a man who can’t be stopped.  From balancing his double majors, fraternity duties, and rigorous workout routines,  he is the ideal student your parents always wanted you to be.

When I first meet Oscar, someone explained to me that not only was he majoring in chemistry but ALSO in molecular/cell biology. As a biology student myself, I can barely keep with the intensive workload and my sanity, but Oscar has somehow managed two of the most difficult majors all while maintain an almost perfect GPA. Did I mentation he is pre-med as well?

Taken back from this information, I assumed that Oscar was a super genius and that only an extremely intelligent student would take on these majors.  “A lot of people tell me that I’m so smart and they wish there were as smart as me, but I don’t like to think that I am, I just like to think I am a hard worker”.

In addition to his already hectic course load, Oscar somehow manages the responsibility of being an active fraternity member.  He a founding father of Phi Kappa Tau and has held the scholarship assistant chair for the past two years.  “Balancing my academics as well as my social lie, philanthropy events, community service hours can be hard but when I do fulfill my duties in PKT, its actually really rewarding, having that type of brotherhood is great to have.”

So he can take on a pre-med lifestyle and balance his duties in PKT, what else is this man capable of? Believe or not, Oscar also maintains a rigors workout schedule.  Twice a day, seven days a week he is all about that gym flow and making sure he is as healthy as can be. 

He is really into fitness today partially due to his struggles of being a heavier kid. “I still remember this and I will probably remember this until the day I die, but when I was in second grade, I weighed 120 pounds”.  He explained to me how self-conscious he was about his weight and the struggle of having low self-esteem because of it. 

In his fall semester of junior year, he reached his heaviest weight. At this point, he knew he had to do something to get out of this negative mindset. “It’s all about the journey of getting there and it’s amazing to see how far I’ve come in a year”. 

As cliché as it may sound, his fitness journey has severely impacted Oscar, physically and mentally. Not only does he have a rocking bod, but he also feels great about himself and the hard work he endures.

From hitting the books to hitting the gym, Oscar Reyes is really the man who does it all. A future doctor, a gentleman and a fitness enthusiast are just a few words one can use to describe him. I don’t know about you guys, but he basically sounds like the perfect man.  

P.S.  He is single and ready to mingle

Jocelyn is a Junior at Appalachian State University working on a degree in molecular biology with minors in chemistry and sustainable development. Enjoys Mother Nature and takes any opportunity to capture moments on her camera.