This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Milan is a beautiful city with a rich history so much to offer. From cute cafes to intriguing museums, amazing restaurants, and the best places to shop! There is no shortage of things to do, see, and explore. So far, living in Milan has been like living in a dream! Here are my first impressions of this wonderful city:

1. People live off of coffee.

Bars (the Italian equivalent to American cafes) are everywhere. Literally everywhere. You don’t have to walk more than five minutes to find coffee. Besides the fact that the coffee is amazing, it is very inexpensive. So far, I have found that an espresso is less than one euro, which is cheaper than a bottle of water!

2. Fashion is a way of life.

Looks are extremely important to Italians. Most people dress to impress every time they leave their apartment, even if they are just going to the grocery store. Leggings and t-shirts are nowhere to be found.

3. Driving is terrifying and the parking is worse.

The only way I know how to describe the traffic in Milan is crazy. There are a lot of people who are going to a lot of places. People also seem to park wherever they want, including sidewalks and in the middle of the roads. Sidenote: I have never seen more little cars in my life! The only vans I’ve seen are taxis and I have yet to come across anything bigger.

4. English is widely spoken.

This wasn’t a complete surprise to me, but I didn’t realize how widely English was used. It is usually very easy to find someone who speaks English if you need to ask for directions or help, and there are signs in English everywhere.

5. Dogs are also everywhere.

Everyone here seems to have a dog and their dogs go wherever they go! I have yet to find a “no dogs allowed” sign. Dogs are allowed in stores, in cafes, and even in some restaurants.

Be sure to stay on the look out for Savannah’s updates as she studies abroad in Milan! 

Photos: 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Milano_skyline_02.jpg

https://www.neckermann.be/fr/citytrip/italie/milan.aspx