The Impact of Your Keurig Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

For many of us, coffee is more than just a beverage; it’s a way of life.

Whether it’s what gets you out of bed or just a way to make it through late nights, coffee is the lifeblood of most college students.  In fact, experts say the consumption rate is on the rise among adults 18-24. 

With the advent of the Keurig single cup brewing system, it’s quicker and easier than ever to grab a cup of coffee or tea on the run.  When these systems hit the market, they seemed like an item reserved only for the coffee connoisseur, but by the time we headed off to college, we didn’t dare leave home without our own dorm sized Keurig. 

As a collegiette, having a full size coffee maker just isn’t economical. When compared to the Keurig’s speed and convenience, conventional coffee makers pale in comparison. For those of us that utilize caffeine as our drug of choice, seeing the wide array of flavors and brands at the supermarket makes it hard not to load up on every delectable blend. 

We have all heard about the health effects of excessive caffeine intake, but how much thought have we put into the other consequences of our coffee habits? Though buying coffee to brew at home in your Keurig is cheaper than pricy barista creations, there is a dark side to those sweet single serve cups. 

With over 12 million Keurig brewers in the United States, the waste from these pods poses a big problem.  After crunching the numbers, it’s estimated that all of the K-cups sold in 2013 could wrap around the earth 10.5 times.  Needless to say, that’s a heck of a lot of waste for a pod that only has a useful life of 30 seconds when popped into a brewer. 

Those cute cups your coffee comes from are made of a polymer plastic blend, complete with an aluminum lid and a paper filter inside; a combination that is simply not sustainable, or even recyclable. Because these plastics and materials are chosen for their durability, they don’t fare well in landfills.  Due to their complex chemical structure, they could take over 50 years to break down in a landfill.   To make matters worse, the runoff from these decomposing plastics can leak toxic “microplastics” into the oceans, harming wildlife.

Another problem with K-cups and another obstacle to recycling is the “No. 7 plastic” used in their construction.  No. 7 plastics technically describe a combination of different plastics.   Depending on the blend, it may or may not contain serious toxins. Though the material is technically approved by the FDA, some studies suggest that it can test positive for “estrogenic activity” and may leach hormones that can disrupt the endocrine system into liquids it comes in contact with.

The good news? The industry leaders are looking to change the current system.   In a recent sustainability report, Keurig announced that by 2020 they plan to make the pods completely recyclable.  While companies like Green Mountain Coffee are looking into changing the materials, expanding the more sustainable Keurig Vue lines and creating cups that can be recycled, there are other ways to lessen the burden right now. 

One key solution is to buy a reusable brewing filter.  You may have seen them on TV or in the stores, but these inexpensive filters are usually made out of a metal mesh  that fits right into your coffee maker.  All you have to do is fill with your favorite ground coffee and enjoy!  They do have to be cleaned after each use but aside from saving the environment you’re also saving a ton of cash. 

When The New York Times researched the issue, they found that single brew disposable cups cost $50 for a pound of coffee (even for Folgers)! You can save money and make an even bigger difference by buying local coffee to put in your reusable filter. Local favorites like Bald Guy Brew and Higher Grounds found right here in Boone are known for selling stellar blends.  Not only will you be playing a part in saving the environment, but you will also be supporting the hardworking artisans in your local business community and saving money.

Sources

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/03/coffee-k-cups-green-mount…

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/11/plastic-use.aspx

http://az163874.vo.msecnd.net/800e43dc149d4e5186cf6727c7c606e6/Images/Pr…

http://aperfectkcup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/how-to-work-a-keurig.jpg

Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.