jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to get Through the Holidays, Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

When the temperature drops and the fire is always crackling, it’s hard not to want a cuddle buddy around all the time. Not to mention the nonstop questions from family members about any sparks in your love life. The worst is New Year’s Eve when “single” can be practically written across your forehead when you have no New Year’s kiss. However, here are some ways to encourage that single spirit throughout the holiday season:

Treat Yourself

Instead of getting a gift that you end up saying “It’s the thought that counts,” get yourself something instead. Replace getting a present from a lover by getting something that you really wanted, from yourself. You will actually like the gift this year.

Do not go to uncomfortable holiday parties.

If you are invited to a traditional holiday party that you know will be nothing but couples, politely decline. The worst possibly situation is forcing yourself in a scene that you already know is going to put you in a rut. 

Appreciation your singlehood.

Find other single friends and go enjoy some holiday activities such as ice-skating or decorating the Christmas tree. Chances are they might have the same feelings as you and are looking for someone to do some holiday decorating with. That’s you!

Be extra friendly.

Since love is in the air during the holiday season, single guys are looking as well. If you get invited to a holiday party you know will not be all couples standing around, go! If there is a chance to meet new people during the holiday season, take it. Mingle, chat, and maybe a little flirting will go a long ways throughout the joyful holiday season that could start to be a fling post-holiday season.  

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.