Greeks and Non-Affiliated Students: What’s With The Drama?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I recently joined the Yik Yak community, and I have to say I’m not happy with it. From the time you are a freshman in college, you become well aware of the tension between Greeks and Non-Affiliated students. Why? I wish I could figure that out. When I joined Yik Yak, I was shocked at how many people felt so negatively about Greek life—for very superficial reasons.

I hate when sorority girls always wear this…

Let’s all take down the Greeks!

And my personal favorite—Don’t they realize they’re paying for their friends?

It saddens me to see so many Mountaineers would talk that way about their fellow classmates who have found something they are passionate about. You might be thinking oh great, another sorority girl defending her “little club”. Ah, that’s where you’re wrong. I am a non-affiliate, but I actually used to be in a sorority at Appalachian for about a year. It’s interesting to have seen both sides of the spectrum, and for that I am grateful because it helped me find out who I really am. 

Why did I join a sorority? Like many girls, I wanted to find my life-long college friends and future bridesmaids. I wanted to experience leadership positions and make a difference in my community. Did I find my future bridesmaids? Unfortunately, no. I did not make the decision to drop because I thought I was paying for my friends. Just to clarify, like any club on campus there are dues. My dues support the organization and our chapter. I did meet some amazing girls who made me feel welcome from day one, and continue to do so today. Did I experience leadership roles? Yes, and they are awesome resume enhancers! Being in a sorority taught me to prioritize and become an efficient leader, which is needed as you continue your college education and enter the workplace. Did I make a difference in my community? Absolutely! Greek life does give back a lot, with their philanthropies and local events; they are always raising money for those who need it. 

So what is up with all the hate on Greek life? I think I’d have to thank the media for that. We’ve all seen movies and TV shows that portray members in Greek life as drunks and a**holes who do nothing but haze the ones below them. I’m not going to lie; when I rushed I was terrified based on what I had “seen”, thanks to the media. I’m here to say it’s not like that whatsoever, at least not for me. Yes, we read about universities where hazing and really unsafe behavior does happen because people are idiots, but for the most part it is not tolerated here. Are there rude arrogant people in Greek life? Yes. Are there rude arrogant people NOT in Greek life? Yup. Being in a sorority or fraternity does not automatically make you an a**hole. College is about finding out who you are as a person. If you find your happiness being a member of the Greek community, awesome. If you find your happiness being apart of the Quidditch club and running around on a broomstick, you’re awesome too. 

I want to see less hate and targeting and a lot more funny jokes on Yik Yak. 

Ashley Chaves is a senior at Appalachian State University, where she is working towards earning her degree in Professional Writing with a minor in Public Relations. She will be graduating in May of 2015 and is aiming to find a job where she can build upon and showcase her writing skills. She has many passions including writing, reading, Shih Tzus, and cooking. In her spare time she enjoys planning her life away on Pinterest and blogging on her personal blog.