This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s finally the end of the school year, which means you’ll probably be packing up your bags to head off the mountain for a few months. Whether you’re moving out of your dorm or apartment for good, or you’re staying there for another year, this is an excellent time to do a little deep cleaning. 

With finals this week, you’re probably looking high and low for reasons to procrastinate or for a little study break anyway, so step away from the books for a few minutes and give your place a little TLC.

Clean under your couch cushions. If this isn’t something you do regularly, prepare yourself for a thoroughly disgusting find.  Lift up those cushions and you’ll inevitably find your favorite tube of missing lipstick, unidentifiable food remains, dirt, spare change, and a number of other interesting or gross things.  Vacuum, Febreeze, do whatever it takes to clean that area up!

Wash your pillowcases. While you’re cleaning those couch cushions, strip the covers off your throw pillows and blankets and give them a good cleaning.  Your daily afternoon siesta and weekend lounging have probably caused the pillowcases to accumulate a lot of dirt and germs.  Your makeup has probably even rubbed off on them.  Toss them in the washing machine if you can take them off or toss them out if you can find a few cute new pillows.

Dust. Climb up on a sturdy surface and look at the top of the blades of your ceiling fan.  Chances are that it’s covered in dust so caked on you may need a chisel to get it all off.  Same goes for another other flat surfaces in your apartment.  Dusting may seem like a tedious task, but it only takes a few minutes to wipe down all of your surfaces so that they’re shiny and dirt free.

Clean your rugs. The rugs in your bathroom, bedroom, and by your main door see a lot of foot traffic over the course of the year.  From stomping in with snow, mud, and salt on your boots to spilling makeup and nail polish, your rugs have probably taken a beating. Give those babies a little much needed scrubbing.

Organize your backpack.  Dump out all the contents of your backpack on the floor and go through everything.  You’ll probably find everything from granola bar wrappers and old grocery lists to endless supplies of pens and pencils. It’s so easy to cram anything and everything into your backpack, especially this time of year when life is chaotic and stressful! Cleaning out your backpack will get you ready for the next semester! Or do it now and be organized and ready to tackle finals.

Clean out your fridge. There are probably a handful of containers of mysterious leftovers in the back of every college student’s fridge, and who knows how long they’ve been in there…. Definitely go through all the contents of your fridge before leaving for summer so that you don’t come back to any rotten surprises.

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!