Easy Halloween Costumes and Makeup: YouTube Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The countdown to Halloween is on! For those of you who haven’t gotten your costumes together, YouTuber is a great resource for getting makeup and costume tips and tricks!

AndreasChoice

Andrea Brooks, a California native, has almost 3 million subscribers. Last year, she put up a highly requested video about last minute Halloween costume and makeup ideas and DIY costumes. The video is appropriately called “Easy DIY Halloween Costume Ideas.” In it she gives four different costume ideas: scarecrow girl, where’s waldo, 80’s party girl and easy slit throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6jrDtnU6M

For the scarecrow girl, you’ll need eyeliner, a red/orange eye shadow, a straw hat, flannel, and optional overalls. Easy, right?

The steps you have to go through to become the scarecrow girl are even simpler! Draw a triangle shape with your eyeliner on your nose that will serve as the patch triangle nose that is on most scarecrows. Then fill in your triangle nose with the eye shadow. Next, you want to take your eyeliner, and draw lines on the edge of your nose to represent stitches. You want to keep your eyeliner in hand to draw long, thick, dramatic lower lashers (underneath your eye). Moving to the outer corner of your mouth, you want to extend your smile wide and draw “stitches” like the ones you drew on your nose. Last, put on your flannel, overalls and hat, and you’re good to go!

Shaaanxo

Shannon Harris has done a whole Halloween makeup series. She’s done everything from the Bride of Chucky Doll, Disgusting Decaying Zombie, Sugar Skull, Haunted Asylum Patient, Green Forest Pixie/Elf, Pop Art and the Terminator to her newest upload covering a tutorial on makeup for Bambi—yes, the deer. If you follow her Instagram, you’ll see she’ll be adding another video soon on her own version of the scarecrow.

For the Bride of Chucky (or Ursula from The Little Mermaid), you’ll need a glue stick, translucent powder, concealer, foundation, powder blush/foundation, eyeliner, purple, white, tan and black eye shadow, mascara, false eyelashes (again if you have any), dark purple lip liner, dark purple lip stick, black tissue paper and a white dress.

First, you need to flatten your eyebrows with a glue stick— yes it’s a thing—and conceal them. Then, put on more foundation than you would normally because you want to make it look like you have near perfect, doll-like skin. After you think your face looks ideal and you contour, you want to fix your eyebrows using eyeliner making sure they are arched high in an apparent scowl and not too thick. After that, you want to move on to eye shadow, first using the purple on your lid, the highlighter near your eyebrow, the tan on the lower part of your lid and black in the crease. Apply mascara and false lashes at this time, then move to your lip liner giving yourself sharp edges as a doll would have, fill it in and go over it with the lip stick. Make sure you put the Bride of Chucky’s signature blemish on the upper right hand corner of your mouth with the eyeliner. Wrap the tissue paper so that it’s about an inch wide and wraps around your neck for the Bride of Chucky’s choker necklace. Last put on your dress, and you are all set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDeyoZbXwpQ&index=7&list=UUMpOz2KEfkSdd5JeIJh_fxw

There’s a ton of other YouTubers out there, such as Bethany Mota and her #spookbook video series last year with costume ideas like Lilo from Lilo and Stitch and Kim Possible, and definitely more ideas on google, so if you like any of the ideas or are inspired by any of the looks, give it a try.

Happy Halloween, collegiettes!

Kaitlan is currently a senior, English major with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in communications at Appalachian State University. She is the Sigma Tau Delta Alpha Lambda Alpha president and the Mountaineer Hall Treasurer. This is her second year writing for HC.