The Cute RA: Meet Marcus Wise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Marcus Wise

Year: Junior

Major: Exercise Science

Hometown: Charlotte, NC 

Alright ladies, say hello to this cute RA, Marcus Wise. Marcus is a Resident Assistant at Cannon Hall. Last year I got the privilege of wrapping up my last few months of dorm life by having Marcus as my RA. I couldn’t have asked for a better person to close out my dorm life.

Marcus is anything but a lame RA. Ask any of his residents past and present and they will tell you how awesome he is. Jacob Stechly, a former resident of Marcus’, had this to say: “For a great description of Marcus Wise, just look at his name. He’s very…Marcus. Such a nice and friendly guy who won’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with anyone he comes across.” 

It’s true, Marcus is always happy and I mean ALWAYS. I’ve never seen him NOT smiling. It’s like he’s from the movie Elf. Last year, every evening when Marcus came back to his room, he’d stop and have a conversation with us in the lobby and ask us about our day. It was apparent that he genuinely cared and wasn’t asking just because it was his job. Even now when I’m no longer in a dorm and I see Marcus on campus, he greets me with a friendly smile and asks me how I am. It’s always a pleasure running into him. 

As if having to keep an eye on a floor of college students isn’t enough, Marcus is also an ASE leader and a teaching assistant.

He’ll say that Carrie Underwood is his celebrity crush, but when in doubt he’d go with Beyoncé as his women crush Wednesday. Who wouldn’t choose the queen herself!?

When asked what he’s watching on Netflix, Marcus admitted it may be a little embarrassing to say, but he’s currently into Jane the Virgin. For those of you that don’t know, it’s a parody  about telenovelas but is ultimately a telenovela itself.

If you want to win Marcus’ heart, take him out for a BBQ meal. His favorite restaurant is JD’s Smokehouse in Hickory, NC. You’ll have to clear your weekend schedule though because it’s only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. According to Marcus, “this is how you know it’s good.”

Marcus is satisfied with the simple things in his life. His friends and family take the top of the list along with his amazing residents that he surrounds himself with (AWE!) Next are his Carolina Panthers who are 9-0, baby! He’s also discovered that he’d love to work with kids, possibly special needs, as a pediatrician or family practice doctor (again AWE!)

It was hard for Marcus to choose a favorite memory here at App. He’d have to say that his favorite memory was last year during the blizzard days. “Some of my friends and I took our snowboards and just went all around campus snowboarding down whatever hill we could find on campus from Sanford Mall to Stadium Drive.”

Sorry ladies, Marcus is happily taken. He and his girlfriend even won our Halloween Couple’s Costume Contest this year! Seriously, how cute are they!? 

Taylor currently works in television production in New York City. Her current project was for a Sesame Work Shop show called 'Helpsters' that is now streaming on AppleTV. While at Appalachian State University, Taylor majored in Film and Creative Writing. She enjoys reality TV, college basketball, binge-watching Netflix, eating Mexican food, and cuddling with her cats. Her dream is to be a television show writer. For inquries, she can be reached at taylorpdills@gmail.com https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylordills/