Clubs that make App so unique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Ever wonder what makes App State’s student body so unique? The clubs we are involved in, of course! Our university has a vast selection of student organizations, which makes getting involved super easy and affordable, too. Here are a few clubs that are found only on App’s campus—some well established, and some brand new!

1.     Alpine Ski Team

Luckily for these winter-sport diehards, App Ski and Sugar Mountains are short drives from main campus. This team competes within the USCSA in the Southeast Conference, showing their skills in events like Giant Slalom and Slalom.

2.     App Sits

Interested in meditation? The App Sits club offers a relaxed environment where meditators of all levels can practice guided, sitting, and moving meditation varieties. Newbies are welcomed with open arms and are encouraged to join in this club’s weekly sessions. Take a study break and join in the relaxation!

3.     Emerging Leaders

Unleash your inner leader and join the Emerging Leaders Club! As a participant, you have the chance to take part in ten interactive leadership sessions, including an overnight retreat. There is also an Outdoor Emerging Leaders program offered for all you nature ladies.

4.     Appalachian State Fly Fishing Club

Because of the high country’s bountiful streams, the Fly Fishing Club here at App State allows students to participate in the beautiful sport of flying fishing. While meeting only twice a month, members have the chance to learn the basics of fly fishing as well as plan hands-on trips in Boone and surrounding areas.

5.     The Mountaineer Shag Dancing

Shagging, which is usually thought to be a dance for our grandparents, has been introduced back into the 21st century here at App. With weekly meetings, beginner and advanced dancers have the chance to dance and jive with other enthusiasts. Go get your shag on!

6.     International Appalachian

Also called INTAPP, this club is dedicated to promoting internationalization on App’s campus. They work closely with the International students and organize group events like a Global Perspectives Panel. If you have any interest in international affairs, this club is for you!

7.     The Rotten Appal

If you’re looking for a satirical publication to read while taking a study break, the brand new Rotten Appal online magazine is right for you! Calling itself “Boone’s Most Trusted Secondhand News Sources,” you’re guaranteed to be rolling on the floor from their hilarious articles. Like them on Facebook to learn more!

Check out ClubConnect on App State’s website to learn more about these clubs! 

I'm a junior Hospitality and Tourism Management major with a knack for writing. I can't get through the day without at least two cups of coffee and scrolling through my inspirational quotes pinboard.