Is Cheating Always Wrong?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Is cheating always wrong? Most people will look at that question and respond with a definite YES. But are there circumstances where cheating could be okay? I think yes.

A relationship is about love. And typically you have sex with that person you love, but could you have sex with a person you don’t love while in a relationship and it be okay? I mean, think about it. It’s just sex. If you don’t have feelings for the other person, then why not? What’s so wrong about wanting to get aroused while your partner is away or just isn’t ‘in the mood’? I guess most people would say there are a lot of things wrong with it. That you should only be sleeping with the person you love. But can’t we all just have a little fun once in a while by spicing it up and doing the deed with someone else? 

When having sex with your partner, I would call that making love. When having sex with someone else, I’d call that sex. And only sex. I guess most people don’t think that way and that’s what has gotten me in trouble with boyfriends in the past, but I feel that there should be some type of leeway. 

The fact of the matter is that even if you are in love with someone, you will still be attracted to other people. We have been taught our whole lives that monogamy is the only way to go about a relationship. However, it’s not natural. A person has the desire to explore sexually with multiple people even if they are only in love with one of those people. 

Now, maybe I shouldn’t go to say that sex with another person while in a relationship is a good thing. But, I don’t think it’s always bad. Also, it doesn’t have to be sex. Why can’t we kiss a random boy or girl at the bar and it not affect our relationship? It’s because we believe monogamy is the only right way. But being monogamous can actually be detrimental to us. We may not be happy with the sex with our partner even though we truly love them. We need a little something else.

More often times than not, cheating ruins a good relationship. What I mean by this is that a couple breaks up because one person cheated on the other when in reality, their relationship was flying sky high. People that were meant to be together no longer are because of a meaningless cheating incident. 

Now, don’t go out and tell your partner “I think we should cheat on each other.” No. That’s not what I’m advocating. And don’t go out and just cheat on your partner without talking to him or her first because this article said cheating isn’t always bad. Cheating can be bad. It can be very bad. But it also doesn’t have to be. Our bodies react in a way where we’re sexually attracted to other people. Anyone can attest to this. There’s nothing we can do about it. We get butterflies when we see a cute boy across campus and that’s not considered wrong so why should it be wrong if we take it a little further on occasion? I don’t think cheating should become a regular thing but it shouldn’t always have a negative outcome. If you truly love your partner, they should know that and cheating shouldn’t necessarily end a relationship.