The Broke Girl’s Guide to App State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Let’s face it, we’re all incredibly broke college kids, but no one wants to sit in their apartment all weekend. So here are some cheap, on and around campus ways to spend that precious free time and those dollar bills. Everything on this list supports the broke kid struggle and is there incredible specials or is sponsored by the University.

The TApp Room:  If bar food is your thing, TApp is the only way to go. It’s not quite on campus but being right across from Convocation puts it in perfect walking distance from anywhere. From $2 taco Wednesday, to their endless pride in App State, it is impossible to go wrong. There are also food specials that change on a day-to-day basis and can only be described as “Something cheap and something good.” They’re also all about supporting local breweries, including AMB. They have dozens of craft beer choices if you’re looking to satisfy your inner hipster.

See A Movie in IG Greer:  We all love movies, but who can afford to go see the latest blockbuster AND eat Chipotle that week? Exactly. So save your pennies, and buy a $2 ticket to IG Greer instead. This is perfect for a first date, a girls night out, or when you just need some “me time”. What’s better than that is you can buy tickets in the Student Union in advance for $1. This semester alone, they’re showing Star Trek Beyond, Me Before You, and most importantly: Finding Dory (because we all know it’s for our generation and not for the next one.) Movies show Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m. and then again at 9:30 p.m.

Get Certified and Get Outside: Inside of the wonderland that is the SRC lives the outdoor programs office. In here you can sign up for hikes, camping trips, and even climbing courses. Outdoor programs also offers certification classes from emergency medicine and biking, to the leave no trace program. One of the best parts of going to App is living in Boone, so take the oppurtunity to get outside and explore with the pros! Check out their website for dates of classes and upcoming trips! http://op.appstate.edu 

Show your Pride:  App State is home to 19 varsity sports as well as multiple other club teams. Every game that these teams have at home is free for students to attend (just don’t forget your App Card)! From Football, to basketball, all the way to softball, there is a sport for every season no matter what you’re into. Sports are also a great way to unwind and let off some steam after a crazy week of classes. What better way to show pride in your school than by getting ridiculously hyped about a rival school or big game? *Cough Miami Cough* 

A Concert at Legends:  Legends and their BYOB concerts are a time-honored tradition here at App.  Legends is a place bursting with local charm and personality. It has hosted big name artists from Hootie and the Blowfish and John Mayer, to the more locally known: Rainbow Kitten Surprise. Tickets are usually between $10 and $20 and are always offered at a discount for students! This semester is packed with Legends favorites! Cherub is coming back to another sold out show, Yonder Mountain String Band will be playing on October 9th, and Luke Combs will be back in November! Even though this is the most expensive idea on the list you, deserve a night out so treat ‘yosef. 10/10 would recommend. Just don’t forget to BYOB. 

Hopefully this list gives you some great nights and some better tacos. Stay Thrifty my Friends!

Images

unnamed-8.jpglegends.jpgBIR7.jpggiphy.gif

Kaitlyn Reavis

App State '18

Kaitlyn is a senior at Appalachian State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science.  Kaitlyn is the President of Her Campus App State as well as one of the Campus Correspondents.  She's also the president of App's Ducks Unlimited chapter, and a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, which is the communication honors society, and a member of Collegiate Republicans. She's moved by her love for this country and the way it works. She hopes to one day be a part of what makes it work be it in politics or campaign management and research. In her free time Kaitlyn coaches’ softball, reads, obsesses over her 6 dogs (yes you read that right), and enjoys being surrounded by the people she loves. She hopes to turn her stories into a book one day but until then... "Never settle for bad coffee, bad friends, or bad men."