5 Things to Remember on New Year’s Eve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Oh, New Year’s Eve – the fated night traditionally shrouded in that cloud of expectation, extreme inebriation, overspending, sexual tension and, sometimes, disappointment.

With the new year just around the corner, here are 5 things to remember as you’re counting down the minutes until 2012.

1. Don’t make resolutions, make goals
We all have set some unrealistic resolutions in the past that we completely forgot about by February. This is a fresh start and those don’t come around too often. Starting now, try to think of a couple of goals that you are determined to accomplish this year and begin them right away. You’re more likely to stick to your goals than your resolutions! (Example: instead of saying that you want to lose 20 pounds by spring break, the more feasible goal would be “go to the gym at least 3 times a week.”)

2. It’s ok if you don’t have someone to kiss at midnight
You’re single, so what? This doesn’t meant that you have to kiss a stranger that will magically turn out to be our soul mate… Our lives are obviously not like a Katherine Heigl movie. So be sure to keep your standards high and try not to be THAT girl that makes out with every guy at the party for the sake of New Year’s. (If you do have someone to kiss, that’s great! Just make sure that unless you two are alone, keep it PG for the sake of everyone around you)

3. Just because it’s NYE doesn’t mean you can’t have fun celebrating at home

Legit New Year’s Eve parties can be expensive, so don’t be upset if you’re celebrating at home. You can have just as much fun ringing in the New Year with your family, or invite some friends over to have a comfortable get-together where people don’t have to worry about driving after drinking. You can go all out and bring the club to your house or even keep it small and simple. It’s up to you and your guests!

4. Look at what events are being held in big cities around you
A lot of big city papers (like The Charlotte Observer or The News & Observer) will have a whole section on what events are taking place in the city for Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. If you Google “What to do for New Year’s in _insert city here_” there will be a lot of links you can click to get a good idea of what’s being offered and you can plan your evening accordingly. Don’t worry if it’s last minute! Sometimes, some places offer better deals because they’re trying to reach their quotas for quests, so just keep looking for something that interests you. 

5. Have fun!
This sounds like a given, but sometimes people get so caught up in expecting so much from New Year’s Eve that they forget to have fun. Just be thankful that you’re wherever you are in your life and you and your family and friends have their health and happiness. You never know how many “next year’s” you have left!

Photo source: http://glittermagic.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/happy_new_year.jpg

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!