Ways to Increase Your Well-Being

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

1. Keep a planner so that you don’t have to hold everything in your brain

Neville touches on a feeling we can all relate to: when you know you forgot something but can’t remember what you have forgotten.  When you write down everything in your planner, it gives you a place to relieve that stress.  It also helps you to avoid spreading yourself too thin when you see your day written out in front of you.

2. If you plan in advance, you can save time and gas 

The more well-planned you are, the more you can enjoy your planned events. Coupons are a great way to cut costs for activities and items that you might need.  Also looking for deals as inspiration for what you want to do helps to kill two birds with one stone!

3. Invest in some markers and pens (why not both?) to devise a color coding system

Color coding can help you to separate “to-do” items from “meetings”. It allows for you to glance over a document and get what you need.  Also colors literally brighten a page and can also brighten your mood. 

4. Stick to your plans

You know those pesty bobby pins that slip out of your hair before the day is over? You might have heard about using hairspray on them to prevent that. But, instead of using hairspray to  stick those bobby pins, try dry shampoo.  It smells nicer and doesn’t harden as much as hairspray.

Also, if you are a visual learner or just want to relive rambunctious kindergarten days, you can decorate your planner with stickers. A planner that you enjoy showing off is one that you would most likely want to use on a regular basis. 

5. Test your makeup 

If you are a fan of drugstore makeup, you may know the disappointment of buying a product that you couldn’t test and then disliking it when you got home.  Lipstick testers are a great way of getting just enough of a sample to test it against your complexion without the commitment of a purchase.

6. Trust your gut 

During times of change and vacationing fun, sometimes you will fall ill.  Whether that is food poisoining, a UTI or something less common, you want to prepare yourself for the worst.  Picking up Advil or Cystex at a pharmacy before traveling can put your mind at ease if you do worry about getting sick.

7. Spend some time in the sun 

Getting Vitamin D is important, but if you like that sun kissed glow, it may be smarter to use a bronzer or self tanning lotion.  As many of us know, the sun’s rays and tanning booths can be damaging to our skin and have been be said to be causes of skin cancer and other skin disorders. Using tan lotion give you a temporary glow without the permanent damage.

8. Try out a friend’s playlist and expand your musical tastes 

Music is a great way of de-stressing and entering new worlds.  Often times, we find ourselves listening to the same few songs and growing tired of it.  Expanding your music tastes not only let’s you break out of that cycle, but can also bring you closer to the friend that made the playlist.

9. Eat well, stay hydrated, and feel refreshed 

Carry a water bottle filled with water and/or a healthy smoothie (less sugar, more fruits and veggies) when you are moving around during the day.  It’s easier to remember to drink water when you have a physical reminder to do so.  Also, like the planner, the prettier the bottle, the more likely you are to use it. 

10. Chill

It’s spring break for a reason, so you should take advantage of this time and relax. 

Now that you’ve made it to the very end of the article… we’ve got gooooood news for you! If you are interested in trying out some of these tips, we are giving away all the items that you see mentioned here.  We have items, coupons and promotions from the following sponsors: ActuallySheCan, Cystex, Erin Condren, Freeman Beauty, LOreal Paris USA, CTillbury Makeup, and Juicy Couture  Stop by our table Keefe Atrium Thursday March 9th between noon and 1PM to check out these freebies! 

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.
Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.