Valentines Day Date Looks!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

When getting ready to go on a Valentines Day Date, it is easy to get nervous!! There are like a thousand movies and cultural references to be made about this special day, so there is a lot to live up to! (Thank God there is that horrid film called Valentines Day to lower the expectations of gals everywhere.) Make this night easier for yourself by planning out your outfit a bit in advance; this will help you to get to your dinner on time, while ensuring that you look your best! Here are some ways to wow your date, without going overboard.

Because Valentine’s Day is full of clichés, I think it could be fun to mess with traditional expectations a bit. To do this, I think incorporating some menswear pieces into your look can help to do this. For example, pair a blazer with tight fitting jeans or trendy printed pants. To make this look a bit more date-friendly, do something a bit different with your hair, like add waves or use a shine serum before you blow it out. Another way to incorporate menswear into your look is by wearing oxford shoes with a feminine dress. An outfit like this will really help you to stand out from the usual Valentine’s Day crowd.

If you are not super comfortable with this idea, here are some ways to look rather ‘date-night’ this Valentine’s Day. Pair a silk blouse with black jeans. You could also try leather leggings for some extra jaw dropping power. And if it ever stops snowing in Amherst you could even opt for heels with this look because the jeans help to keep it low-key. If it does not stop snowing, we can just pretend that those Hunter boots that we will all be wearing are extremely high fashion. This outfit would be a good opportunity to add in some V-Day accents such as a red headband or earrings. I am obsessed with theming things, so I can’t help myself on holidays because all I want to do is wear the appropriate colors. I will try to hold myself back this year, and only go with one, ok maybe four, red additions to my outfit. Like why not wear a red poufy skirt, you know..?!?! Another way to look pretty for your date is by wearing a lace dress. It doesn’t have to be tight to look great, this feminine look will definitely send a good message. Wear it with booties to balance it out.

If you are just going out with gals and you want to look bangin, try a dash of on-trend cobalt. This bright blue shade has been in editorial shots all season, on bags, belts, and even jackets. Coincidentally, it looks awesome with red, so try it out! You could also try some bright blue pumps with an all black outfit (Rachel Zoe and I both go bah-nan-nas for all black!) This night is supposed to be fun, remember! This night would also be a good time to try out something you wouldn’t have normally worn, like maybe leather and fur together! Go crazy! If you want to be super trendy, wear a military jacket. The military trend is making resurgence in coats, jackets, and shoes, so take your pick.

While this night fill you with butterflies, try your best to play it cool. This goes with your outfit too. If nothing seems to be working out, or if the weather is just really getting you down, put on your favorite jeans and a warm sweater. When you are comfortable and happy with what you have on it will shine through and do more for your date night than any outfit ever could! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C
Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.