TBT: Five Creepy Childhood Shows to Rewatch for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Halloween is this weekend!  Each week, we helped you prep for Halloween with decor tips, costume suggestions, movie recommendations and blog posts about past experiences on Halloween.  For our final festive post, I am going to take you down memory lane one more time, like us 90s kids love to do these days, and remind you of the creepy shows you used to watch but loved nonetheless.

Courage the Cowardly Dog

One of my personal favorite shows, but in hindsight was quite frightening. You have this purple dog who single-handedly battles the forces of evil in the forms of barbers, hotel owners, musicians and other seemingly harmless professions.  Who can forget the episode when all of the villains banded together with Eustace to destroy Courage? Or the episode where the zombie movie producer was using Courage’s home to resurrect his dead friends? Flan…do I need to say more? I find that as I grew older the show got less scary, more hilarious and full of warm memories of only seeing the screen through the cracks of my fingers.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

This show was more hilarious than scary, so for those of you not into the full out scare, this show will be the best to re-watch.  Billy’s airheaded innocence with Mandy’s gloomy expressions and Grim’s cynical outlook on life made the show a classic from the first episode. The Harry Potter spin-off episode has to go down in history as one of the greatest Harry Potter parodies. Fair warning: while this show isn’t scary, it sure can be graphically gross!

Scooby Doo Movies

As an avid watcher of Scooby Doo, I am quite the critic of all its spin-offs.  However, Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, Scooby Doo and the Alien Invasion and Scooby Doo and the Witch’s Ghost were three of my most played video cassettes. These captured the essence of Scooby Doo in a time outside of the 70s and the more modern early 2000s.  In the Ghoul School, following the offspring of the meanest monsters like Sibella, the daughter of Dracula, and Elsa Frankenteen the, the daughter of Frankenstein, made the movie relatable for both young and old.  The Alien Invasion showed my young self what true love meant and that it could go beyond galaxies. Finally, the Witch’s Ghost inspired me to be a rock star for Halloween when I was eleven.  Best Costume Ever. Other suggestion: Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, Scooby Doo and Zombie Island

The Halloweentown Movies

I’m pretty sure Disney will be showing these movies this week, if they haven’t already.  This triligoy are the classic  movies to watch for Halloween because it’s the only time where the portal opens up and Grandma can come and visit (direct movie reference).  I always hoped when I turned thirteen I would find out I was a witch and take the bus into Halloweentown. However, there were definitely parts like Halloweentown II when the mother turns into the monster that scarred me.

Other Disney movie suggestions: Mom’s Got A Date With A Vampire

The Little Vampire

I was the only one of my friends that knew this movie (so if you know it, please let me know) and was another one that was always in my VCR.  It’s an innocent take on the story of vampires but also talks about friendship, the struggles of moving and overcoming bullies.  There are a few parts that might scare a younger audience, but they are usually resolved quickly. If you haven’t seen this movie, it’s definitely worth a watch. Get ready for that warm and fuzzy feeling at the end of the movie.  

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.