Meet Chelsea Cutler ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Chelsea Cutler ’19 a singer-songwriter soccer player with a new found interest in polisci/history/LJST.

Tell me about where are you from:

I’m from Westport, CT, which is around 45 minutes outside NYC. 

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

The weather here is pretty much the same so I’m used to it. I also love every season so I’m a huge fan of New England weather.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I loved my boarding school, so I was definitely looking for an extension of that experience. Beautiful campus, close community, small class sizes, etc.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

This year I’ve realized that I’m becoming increasingly interested in politics, history, and LJST type stuff. This semester I’m taking Segregated America, and it’s the first class I’ve taken in my life where I don’t even think to check the clock throughout the class period. Outside of class I play on the Amherst women’s soccer team, work as a songwriter for Sony Music, and watch a lot of the same Netflix shows over and over.

What are you passionate about the most?:

People. It sounds super cliche but I love people. Everybody is fascinating in one way or another. Life wouldn’t be so bright without them.

Tell me the best memory of your first year: 

One night in early September of our first year, one of my teammates, Caleigh Plaut, and I just sat at the piano in the Friedmann room and jammed. It probably doesn’t sound like much of a memory but we barely knew each other at all and we were just belting out “Hotline Bling” as if we’d known each other for years. That’s when I knew Cal would be one of my best friends. 

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:  

Definitely just want to make the most out of my relationships at Amherst. We’re so lucky to be surrounded by really intelligent, interesting people who have truly honest, good intentions. In the future, I can’t really imagine being happy doing anything other than working in the music industry. 

What is the best compliment you’ve received?:

The best compliment is either hearing that someone thinks I’m a kind person or that someone like my shoes. 

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.