Meet Augusta Hollers ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Augusta Hollers ’19, a North Carolinian with a passion for whales!

Tell me about where are you from:

I’m from Carrboro, North Carolina, which is basically just the part of Chapel Hill where everyone wears tie dye and hula hoops for fun. 

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?: The weather here is definitely much colder, but honestly I’m glad to have left the southern heat. The only thing I do miss is getting snow days back home if there was even just a 1/2 in of snow.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

I ultimately chose to attend Amherst because most people I met when I visited were genuinely kind and friendly, and I loved the campus in general. I also wanted to go to a small school far enough away from home. 

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

I am most interested in biology, and specifically marine biology. I also have liked taking geology, french, and anthropology classes at Amherst. Outside of class, I love backpacking, hiking, and being outdoors in general. I also love teaching children about the outdoors and leading them on hiking trips. I enjoy singing and playing ultimate frisbee at Amherst. 

What are you passionate about the most?:

I am honestly really passionate about whales. Their biology and behavior are super fascinating to me and my dream would be to someday swim with them in the ocean. 

Tell me the best memory of your first year:

One of my favorite memories was when my friend and I decided to randomly go hiking during finals week last spring in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It was a beautiful day and we met an amazing dog at the top of a mountain and saw incredible views. It was a really good day to end the year on. 

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

I think I will be a biology major by the end of this semester, and other than that my plans at Amherst are to continue to val sit for too many hours and learn how to decently cross country ski. I honestly don’t know what I will do after graduating from Amherst, but I imagine myself someday living in the mountains and raising goats. 

What is the best compliment you’ve received?:

Someone once told me that I reminded them of Rapunzel from Tangled, and I think they meant it in kind of a sarcastic way, but I appreciated the thought anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.