Meet the 2016 Spring Concert Performers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

April 22 is just around the corner, and that means that we can peek over the mountains of midterms and papers to catch a glimpse of Spring Concert.

This also means that the long-awaited Passover is coming. If you haven’t already heard about this problem of overlapping schedules, I strongly encourage you to check out this well-written article by a fellow student named Sara Schulwolf. Because Sara did such a great job sharing her opinions there, I will focus more on the question: who exactly are the Spring Concert performers?

In-a-nutshell-answer: X Ambassador and Kehlani

…. Okay, but who are they?

Given that so much thought and effort were put into the planning of this event, you should at least know a couple of things about our guests.

Profile: X Ambassador 

You have probably heard of the “Renegade” song, this is them!  

Based in: Ithaca, NY

Did you say New York?  

Music Genre: Alternative rock/indie 

DNA: Vocalist Sam Harris + his brother/keyboardist Casey + guitarist Noah Feldshuh + drummer Adam Levin 

Something you wouldn’t know about “Renegade”: In an interview, they said, “We have a blind member of our band, and he’s a real inspiration to us. We wanted to share his story as well as the stories of others who defy the odds and break barriers, both social and otherwise, to have them accomplish amazing things. I think that’s very applicable message to everyone, not just people who are ‘disabled.’” 

Thoughts: “There’s a lot of give and take with having a sibling and a best friend who has a disability like that and you have to be… he’s there for us all the time and we’re there for him all the time but I wouldn’t take Casey any other way.” 

Started: Alex da Kid, a music producer/label owner under Interscope, signed Imagine Dragons, who in turned actually signed this band. When Dan Reynolds from Imagine Dragons heard an acoustic version of X Ambassador’s songs on the radio, he immediately called Alex, his friend and producer. 

Biggest influences: Nineties R&B because, as they put it, “It’s so overtly sexy.” and it “was the first type of music [they] were ever exposed to that our parents told NOT to listen to, so you can imagine it made quite an impact” 

Origin of name: There were so many bands called “Ambassadors”, so adding an “X” was a good compromise to continue their history but to also keep the lawyers happy.

Profile: Kehlani 

Hometown: Oakland, CA

Music Genre: Contemporary R&B/Hip hop 

Started: Her first time performing as a singer was when she was 12 years old. But her passion for dance sparked earlier than it did for singing.  

Wow: Her debut tour is practically sold out. (You Should Be Here tour)

Pre-performance ritual: Before every performance, she prays with her team. 

Lives off of: Snapchat + music that tell stories  

Fashion priorities: Comfort before anything (Her words: “You trying to be cute out here, walking around with some shorts on. Girl, you going to be hella mad when you get home and have frostbite on your ass.”)  

Best friend: MOM (“My mom is like my friend; she’s hella hood and hella hilarious.”)

As you know by now, we’ve got some pretty awesome performers in line. So, on the last note, if you haven’t picked up your tickets, DO IT! See you there!

Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her. 
Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.