alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Costumes in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

You remember that scene in Mean Girls where they explain the different Halloween costumes.  Caddy walks in with the most horrifying costume to spot three shocked playboy bunnies staring back at her.  There is a pressure with Halloween costumes.  Rarely do you find costumes that are actually terrifying (besides, I suppose the people who actually buy those masks with the faces of presidential candidates).  Instead in my experience, these are the Halloween Costumes you see in college.

Sexy

There is always the sexy costume.  It’s pretty much an excuse to show as much skin as possible despite it being hella cold outside.  To be honest, a sexy costume can be tasteful on anyone with the confidence to wear it.  One of my personal favorites was a group of three blind mice.  They had the ears and sunglasses and wore little black dresses.  It was creative, feminine and sensual and that’s a dynamite trio!

Pop Culture Relevant

My first year, someone dressed up as Miley Cyrus and the other person dressed up as the wrecking ball.  It was absolutely fabulous!  A relevant costume gets a few chuckles and extends the possibilities of costume making.   Word of warning:  there are certain things that are not funny – don’t imitate stereotypes of people’s cultures and please, no clown costumes this year.

Punny

A personal favorite of mine are costumes that are puns.  It takes a little while for people to get it, but when they do, it is always worth it. 

Classics

Witches, vampires, cats, Disney characters…these are going to be there every year.  Chances are, you are going to run into someone with the exact same costume, but its fine that’s just a great opportunity. 

I love Halloween and the costume ideas that come with it. Hopefully this inspired your costume or gave you a smile.

HCXO

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.