Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover or a Woman by her Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

The other day, I was sitting in Val, intermittently eating, people watching, and talking with friends, when one of my friends commented on the shortness of a girl’s skirt
.  While she did not mean any harm or offense, she was judging that girl on the way she was dressed. It made me think of the ways that girls tend to judge other girls. We assume and stereotype according to appearances.

For example, take a look at the “average” Amherst girl.  Her outfit varies depending on the season. Recently, we had a bit of a heat wave, and shorts, skirts, and tank tops made an appearance. In warm weather, it’s usually the jean shorts and a t-shirt look for most girls. I have a friend who commented on this ensemble. “Damn, Amherst girls need to learn how to dress!” Now, this girl is always really well put together. She is more willing to experiment with her wardrobe. But some girls just prefer to be comfortable and wear what’s convenient.

Another comment I heard someone make recently: “Seriously? Why do you need to wear heels to Val? Who are you trying to impress?” So what? She’s wearing heels. It’s her decision. Maybe she is trying to impress, or maybe she just feels more confident wearing them. If she feels sexy and comfortable like that, then more power to her. I can barely walk in heels!

“Oi, that skirt is more like a belt!” Now, I have definitely said this (or some variation of it), and I’m a bit ashamed of myself. This comment could be either because you’re uncomfortable with how short her shirt is, mean-spiritedness, or even the idea that the way you dress affects your sexual activity.

I totally get why somebody would be uncomfortable. When I see someone wearing a crop top, I feel uncomfortable because I’m imagining myself wearing it, and it just seems like baring a bit too much skin.  However, it’s not okay to just judge a girl based on the way she dresses. People are so much more than their clothes. Next time you decide that someone’s skirt is too short, take the time to talk to them. Ask them about their skirt. Maybe she loves her legs and wants to show them some love.  Less clothing does not equal higher sexual activity, or said more crassly put, sluttier.

Now, you lovely collegiettes™, go forth and dress how you like! Don’t be afraid to try something because you’ll be judged for it. If you don’t judge others, then hopefully they’ll learn to not judge you back. 

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.