Campus Celebrity Takudzwa Tapfuma ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Tell me about where you are from: I’m from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, the second largest city in the country. There’s a reason it’s called the City of Kings and Queens – we live like royalty.

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home: Zimbabwe is warm for most of the year, and dry. Amherst winters are brutal.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?: After 18 years living and learning in Zimbabwe, I was ready to have an international experience. Also, I wasn’t sure about what I wanted to pursue for a career, so I needed to be in a place where I could explore my interests and at the same time get slowly integrated into American culture. Amherst hasn’t disappointed.

What are you interested in, both leisurely and academically?: FIFA. I play the game whenever I can. Still haven’t gotten a worthy challenge, by the way. I’m an Architectural Studies and Mathematics double major, and I’m interested in finding ways to use mathematical models to build architectural spaces.

What are you passionate about the most?: I am a strong advocate for early childhood education and youth development programs. I went through a few when I was in Zimbabwe, and enjoy volunteering for initiatives that support education.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?: Amherst offers a lot of opportunities for education and personal growth, and I intend on taking advantage of these. A few things on my Amherst bucket list are to learn French, to learn the piano and to find someone worthy of my challenge in FIFA. After Amherst, I will go to graduate school for Architecture. I may take a year or two before to gain life experience, in which time I would travel the world.

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?: I would erase boarders. My ideal world would have everyone having equal access to resources and opportunities as anybody else.

Valentine’s Day Question – What do you think about Love?: Love is a beautiful thing to share, or to find.

~

Takudzwa Tapfuma ’17

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.