Campus Celebrity: Mercedes MacAlpine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Mercedes MacAlpine, one of the members of the newly formed Amherst Cheerleaders!

Grade: 2016

Dorm: Seelye

Major: Black Studies

How did the idea for the Amherst Cheerleaders come about? I think I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of cheerleading – I’m an easily excitable person (just look for me when Val is serving local ice cream), and the idea that there are people who are excited for the duration of a game and spread that excitement to others seemed like a perfect fit. I also have friends who do all sorts of things on campus and I’m so proud of all of them; people deserve to hear that their hard work is being recognized more often. 

So, far what has been your favorite aspect?My favorite thing has been seeing people’s reactions to us; nothing’s more rewarding than seeing teams visibly work harder when they know they’ve got our support. That and being thanked by alums, parents, and coaches.  

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? We try to cheer for all sorts of activities, and before last year, I’d never cheered before (if we’re not counting in my dreams), so it can be hard trying to find a “spirit formula” that works, or the unique kind of support that different groups need. 

What do you want the Amherst community to know about Amherst Cheerleaders? Lorraine Thomas and I are really excited about this team coming together. We’ve really put in a lot of effort into getting it off the ground, and finally seeing it take shape has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my time here. If you’d like for us to support you, whether you’re a club or varsity sport, or not even a sport at all, we’d love to help! We want to create enthusiasm and support for all groups and endeavors on campus, so let us know!

Are you looking for new members? And if so, what type of participant are you looking for? We are always willing to have new members and you don’t need any cheer experience, just a good attitude, commitment, and school pride! We always try to center ourselves around why we’re doing the team; that it isn’t about us, it’s about keeping people playing/singing/doing their best. 

Do you have a team name? We do! Our actual name is “Purple Pride”, and we fall under the category of “ACC” (Amherst College Cheer). 

What do you guys have planned for homecoming festivities? Right now we’re working with CAB, but we have some new cheers, and a halftime show in the works, but that’s all I’ll say for now. 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C