Best Decorated Holiday Room Winners: Davis Suite 108

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

The winners of this year’s Best Decorated Room for the Holidays Contest, Leilani Webb ‘14, Meghan McCafferty ‘14, Claire Hoffmann ’14, Nicole Clay ’14, Devin Pince ’14, and Shelby Fabian ’14 of Davis Suite 108, decked their room out in lights.  From outside Davis, you can see their massive, light-up snowflake hanging in the window.  White lights line the walls, and the windows are covered in homemade paper snowflakes.  Six stockings, one for each member of the suite, hang on the wall above their TV.  To complete the winter wonderland, each girl’s room is hung with white or rainbow Christmas lights.

It all started when Nicole went to Dylan’s Candy Bar over Thanksgiving break and purchased a chocolate advent calendar.  Dylan’s, unlike CVS, does chocolate advent calendars right.  The chocolate actually tastes good!  The Christmas spirit, or all the sugar from the advent calendar, inspired these Davis residents to deck out their suite.  “Our love of lights inspired our window, and Devin’s mom sent the gigantic snowflake from California.  We had to teach Devin how to make paper snowflakes again so we could make decorations for the remaining windows,” says Leilani.  They purchased six stockings, “like a real family”, and each girl wrote her name on one of them.  They put the stockings over the TV so that they could put on a DVD of a fireplace and feel like they were characters in ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.

When Davis suite 108 wants to get into a festive mood, they turn up the Pandora Christmas channel.  They also got into the Christmas spirit with their suite secret Santa.  Their favorite Christmas song is the holiday classic, “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey.  On the girls’ Christmas list this year is Taboo, Keurig (a coffee maker), and a life-sized, half-naked poster of Shemar Moore to put up on the wall in their suite. 

Davis suite 108 serves as a Christmas inspiration to all of us.  They truly embody the holiday spirit.  “We believe in Santa Claus.  He talks to us every day,” says Nicole.             

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.