All The Shine, But Maybe Not All The Sparkle; New Years’ Eve Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

In every movie I can think of where there is a scene on New Years’ Eve it seems as though everyone is dressed in variations of the same look; a sparkling top with a skirt. This year I want to challenge that and find ways to stand out at a party with other techniques that can be as loud as sparkles. Don’t get me wrong, I am all about loud clothing and accessories, but I am hoping this article will help to keep your New Year’s bash fun without having to look like everyone else.

Firstly, wearing something that is a bit more outlandish than your regular going out outfit is a perfect place to start. A way to do this is by wearing two patterned pieces together. This look has been on-trend for several seasons, and designers are continuing to show mix-matched patterns. New Years’ Eve is a great time to put a look together that you would not ordinarily consider. If you are nervous about wearing two different patterns, start with two that have the same color palate. An easy way to do this is with black and white, like a striped crop top paired with chevron patterned tailored pants. To finish off the look, choose a bright shoe or shimmery necklace.
            Another way to stand out without wearing sparkles is by wearing snakeskin. I love snakeskin because lets just call a spade a spade, it is pretty badass Snakeskin is perfect for New Years’ Eve because it allows you to look dressed up while wearing something that is different from what you would normally put together. I think Snakeskin is also a good choice for New Years’ Eve because it does not feel cliché the way that sparkles do, (see Lea Michele in the five star film ‘New Years Eve’). Snakeskin will definitely make you unique especially if you style the rest of your outfit so that you look polished. Snakeskin is a bit of a rougher trend, so it you pair it with sleek hair, minimal makeup and simple accessories, you will have a perfectly balanced outfit.

If you do want to wear something with shine, a metallic piece is a great way to look festive without the traditional sparkle. You could pair a metallic dress with simple pumps and definitely stand out without doing too much. If you are feeling especially daring, wear a metallic maxi skirt. Most people will probably opt for shorter skirts and smaller tops, so if you show up in a full-length metallic skirt, you will not only stand out, but also show off your confidence. With a longer skirt, don’t be afraid to show some midriff or pick a shirt with cutout shoulders. Picking one thing to highlight is a great way to look great, without revealing too much. What is cool about New Years’ Eve is that you can try something new and not be totally sure of it, but still look the part.

Sometimes standing out can be as easy as wearing a little black dress (LBD). Wearing a LBD can help you look different because you look great without wearing anything too outlandish. Pick one with straps that are slightly off shoulder to be on-trend. If you love shoes and want to highlight a new pair, wear a LBD that has a shorter cut to show off your new kicks. Whatever you choose to wear, remember that New Years’ Eve is a time to have fun and go a little crazy, and your outfit should reflect this! Try something new and don’t be afraid to stand out and put something together that you feel CONFIDENT in, as that is always the most important thing.

Lastly, New Years’ Eve by definition is always a long night. What you bring with you can help to make the fun last into the morning hours. Here is a short list of essentials to fit in a small bag.

1)   Lip Balm. Lip Balm is a mighty beauty tool because of its versatility. Obviously it helps to give your lips shine and moisture but it can also be used on your cheeks and eyes. Rub some onto your check in a circular motion to give your face a dewy and pretty revamp throughout the night. You can also use it on your eyelids as an eye make-up primer to keep it from creasing and to make it last longer. 

2)   Hair tie. You never know what type of climate you will be in throughout the night and no matter now much hair spray you put in; your hair just may have other plans. Plus, pulling your hair back emphasizes your face and allows you to change up your look in the middle of a party.

3)   A lip/cheek tint. As you dance the night away your make-up may begin to fade a bit. A multi-purpose tint is perfect for New Years’ Eve because it helps to keep your make-up looking fresh no matter how long you are out on the town.

I wish you all a wonderful New Years’ Eve and a very happy 2014!!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C
Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.