10 Awkward Situations We Empathize With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there.  You’ll laugh about it tomorrow, or maybe in a year.  Either way, eventually you’ll laugh about it!
  1. Your friend told you all the details about her night with that shy dude in your psych class and now you can’t stop picturing things you’d rather not picture every time you look at him.
  2. You did a full circle of Val trying to find where your friends were sitting only to realize you’d passed right by them and they were laughing at you the whole time.
  3. You texted him a direct question and he didn’t answer, which kind of feels like putting your hand up for a high five and just being left hanging…
  4. You’ve gotten so desperate to procrastinate that you stalked your friend’s uncle on Facebook.  And then her aunt.  And then all her cousins.  And then her grandma.  And you liked all their family photos, so now they think you’re a huge creeper.
  5. You’re not sure if the person you’ve been communicating with about your internship is a guy or a girl because they have a crazy ambiguous name, so you addressed them in your email by their first name to avoid having to choose between Mr or Ms. 
  6. You went out for a drink at high horse the day before your bio exam, and your bio professor was sitting at the table next to yours.
  7. You skipped class to write a paper in Frost, and as you were walking out you ran into your professor.  Just keep hoping he still has no idea who you are!
  8. You start bitching to one of your friends about this girl you don’t like, only to remember your friend is actually way better friends with her than she is with you.  Good luck getting out of that one!
  9. You mixed up “here” and “hear” on Facebook.  Fail.
  10. You accidently sent that snapchat of yourself making the ugliest face ever to someone you weren’t trying to scare off.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.