andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Expect When Your Partner Brings You To Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Maybe you two have been dating for years. Maybe just for a few months or weeks! Either way, we all know that you’ve got to get to know your romantic partner’s family at some point. And what better time than Thanksgiving? Great food, extended family, wine! Sounds like the perfect atmosphere to bond…right?

While Thanksgiving may, indeed, be an excellent time to be introduced to your romantic partner’s family, there are a few things you should expect.

1. Someone is going to bring up marriage.

Whether it be your partner’s father as he jokingly knocks your arm or their great-aunt asking quite seriously, someone is going to say something like, “So, when’s the wedding?” This leaves you laughing awkwardly as you try to shovel as much food in your mouth as possible to avoid speaking to them again…ever.

2.  You’re going to learn embarrassing things about your partner.

So…they refused to wear pants and only wore Thomas the Tank Engine undies for how long exactly?

3. You’ll be forced to eat something you don’t like.

You don’t want to insult your gracious hosts nor make your partner think you find their parents’ cooking horrible, but how many times have you casually mentioned that you don’t eat anything red…?

4. You’re going to learn some dark family secret.

It’s almost dessert and your partner’s aunts and uncles are tipsy. They choose now to suddenly bring something up about your partner’s cousin that you know you probably shouldn’t have heard. Is it really their fifth wedding? Suddenly, your partner is tugging at your arm and trying to pull you into the kitchen to help with dessert before you hear anymore.

5. You’ll end up arguing with your partner’s mother.

“No, really, it’s fine! I can clear my own dish.”

“No, honey, don’t worry about it. Let me.”

“It’s really okay!”

“Really, I insist.”

“Honestly, though, I can—”

“Give me the dish.”

6. You just may be called by the wrong name.

Five points if it’s the name of a cousin who isn’t there. Ten if it’s the name of one of your partner’s exes.

7.  You may realize that you want to stick around for a little while.

Maybe your partner’s sister tells great jokes or your partner’s grandmother shares the same literary interests as you, but either way, something other than your partner’s great smile and humor is telling you that you may like it here.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Chelsea Cirruzzo is a sophomore at American University studying Public Relations and Strategic Communications. She is originally from Long Island. In addition to writing for Her Campus American, Chelsea is a Community-Based Research Scholar as well as a Resident Assistant. When not reading or writing, Chelsea can be found seeking out pizza wherever it might be or talking about feminism.