Tasha Daniels, Career Center’s Student Employment Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Tasha Daniels is the Student Employment Coordinator in the Career Center whose primary role is to oversee the off-campus community service federal work study program.

“It’s a program where students who have a Federal Work Study award can earn their award by working with non-profits and government agencies,” Tasha said.  “My job is to create a partnership with those organizations to secure student positions and then to get students out there to those available positions.”

In addition to working with the community service sector, Tasha also manages the Career Center Peer advisers, a team of four students who act as student liaisons to inform students at AU about the Career Center and its services and resources through classroom presentations.  They also work with students directly with resume and cover letter critiques, offer advice about the internship search, assist with Career Center offered resources, and host resume workshops for student groups and organizations.

“My role is to supervise and provide support for what the peer advisers do and be a liaison between them and the rest of the Career Center staff,” Tasha said.  “If staff have an event they need assistance with, I’ll match them with a peer adviser.”

Supervising the peer advisers is one of Tasha’s favorite parts about her job.  “When I took on the role of the supervisor, I really wanted to work with the student leaders of the Career Center,” Tasha said.

Prior to working in the Career Center, Tasha worked in the Center for Community Service and Engagement at AU.  “It’s similar to my current position,” Tasha said.  “I managed service projects and volunteer opportunities, then connected AU students with volunteer opportunities in the DC area.”

Outside of work, Tasha lists dance as one of her hobbies, having studied both modern dance and West African dance.  She holds a bachelor’s degree in Spanish and International Studies from University of North Carolina Asheville and a master’s degree in Organization Development from American University.

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.