This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’ve never heard of the British singer-song writer, Ella Eyre, check again. Although you may not know her by name you probably know her by sound. Artists, such as Naughty Boy, Tinie Tempeh, Rudimental, and Bastille have all featured the cutting edge, curly haired beauty on their tracks. Ella Eyre brings a fresh female sound to music.

For the past year Ella has broken away from her role as a feature artist to develop her own style and beat. Her unique husky voice brings a soul and a little blues to a poppy beat. Though she is still fairly new to the music scene, she conveys a precious voice that could be compared too other fellow Brits such as Rebecca Ferguson, Adele and Amy Winehouse. Ella evokes power and true convictions with her talent, making the listeners ask, “Who is this girl?”

The West London native discovered her love of singing and performing when she was casted as Tallulah in Bugsy Malone while at boarding school. Influenced by her drama teacher, she was encouraged to audition for the BRIT School, a prestigious preforming arts school located in the UK. Although she was not classically trained, she was accepted into the school and has become one of their notable alumni.

In December of 2012 Ella was featured on Bastille’s cover mash up of TLC’s “No Scrubs” and The XX’s “Angels“. In April of 2013 she was featured on Regimentals’ “Waiting All Night“, which topped the charts for several weeks. In August of 2013 she teamed up with Wiz Khalifa on Naughty Boy’s “Thinking About It.” Finally, Ella’s voice can also be heard on Tinie Tempah’s “Someday (Place in the Sun)“.

In a new ad for Downy’s fabric softener, we see a couple “ripping their clothes on“, quickly pulling each other’s garments onto each other. In the background, we hear Ella’s less notable song “We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off.” The song is essentially about taking things slow in a relationship, learning about one another, rather than jumping to get each other naked. The song is power, slow and absolutely beautiful. Her self-written lyrics encourage a night of dancing and enjoying a bottle of cherry wine together, rather than the pressure of getting naked. Though it is different from some of her other songs, it captures her style and message. Ella is edgy, sassy and whole-hearted.

Ella has blazed across the British music scene, gaining recognition for her sound. Last year she was the runner up for the BRIT Critics Choice Award, named second to Sam Smith. In addition, she was also the runner up for BBC’s Sound for 2014. Last October, she earned the Best Newcomer award at the MOBO Awards. To get a listen for Miss Ella Eyre yourself, check out her SoundCloud.

Photo Credits: 1, 2