Melina Hernandez ’17: Extracurricular Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Meet Melina Hernandez, vice president of the Latino and American Student Organization and the Vice President of Recognition for Centennial Hall Council at American University!

Fast facts:

Name: Melina Hernandez

Year: Class of 2017

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Major: Political Science

Minor: History

Her Campus American: Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

Melina Hernandez: I am from Brooklyn, New York, but my parents are from Atlixco, Puebla, Mexico. I am first generation Mexican-American and I am the first in my family to graduate high school and attend a four-year college. I have a younger brother who is turning 17 very soon. He is a sophomore at my old high school. 

HCAU: You are involved in many student organizations! Can you talk about the clubs you belong to and your roles within them? 

MH: I am currently involved in two student led organizations. I am Vice President of the Latino and American Student Organization (LASO), where I have tried to bring more of the Latino culture to AU by hosting a few events a semester. I am also part of the Resident Hall Association, where I am Vice President of Recognition for Centennial Hall Council. As VP of Recognition, I am in charge of submitting “of the month” or OTM’s to a website in which recognizes from anyone on campus for their good deeds. I am also a member of Phi Alpha Delta, AU’s pre-law fraternity. Joining so many organizations has really helped define my college experience!

HCAU: What influenced your decision to join LASO and RHA?

MH: I decided to join LASO my freshman year because I did not know anyone at AU. Joining the club made me realize I was not the only Latina on campus. As for RHA, I initially started off as a floor ambassador to my hall council. Soon the hall council needed a VP of Recognition and I ran for the position. I was fortunate enough to win the position and I have been involved ever since.

HCAU: How do you juggle being so involved?

MH: I am very happy with my decision of joining both executive boards. Yes, there are times where I am conflicted between free time, meetings, sleep, classes or whenever I have travel back home, but I seem to keep up. I have a planner where I write down my homework, papers, meetings, and try to plan week by week. I communicate with my two teams of what can and cannot do for a given week. Giving back to the community is the best feeling, which is why I happily juggle all of my activities. 

HCAU: Do you have a favorite club memory?

MH: I love to plan events with my executive boards. One event can take weeks of planning. Although stressful, we always manage to have a great event.

HCAU: Do you have any advice for students who want to become more involved on campus?

MH: I recommend attending the club general body meetings. We always love to see new and familiar faces. You can also friend the executive board on any social media or send a simple email of interest. Networking is key!

HCAU: What are your future career plans? 

MH: I am an aspiring lawyer and leader. This past semester, I began looking into law school. I was also initiated to Phi Alpha Delta, the pre-law fraternity at American University, so hopefully the organization can help me with my future endeavors. It’s a great way to “test the waters” before I go to law school.

HCAU: Thanks, Melina! One fun question: what is your favorite place in DC?

MH: My favorite spot in DC would be at the George Washington Memorial (I know it sounds cliché). I love to go sit on the Mall while the sun sets, facing the Lincoln Memorial. It is so peaceful and just a wonderful reminder that I have the opportunity and privilege to live and go to school in the nation’s capital. 

Photos courtesy of Melina Hernandez

I am a freshman studying Internatioal Relations at American University and am a lover of all things food, fashion, and interior design. I have an unhealthy obsession with dessert and I secretly love Lizzie McGuire.  Life is grΣΔΤ!