Krista Chavez ’18: President of the Network of Enlightened Women Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American University: What made you want to be president of NeW (Network of Enlightened Women) at AU?

Krista Chavez: When I came to AU, I was very excited because I was on a campus that is politically active where you can discuss different things and was full of very smart and intelligent people. But, I found that some of my friends I had made here were not very supportive of the fact that I was conservative, even though I respected their beliefs, even though we didn’t agree. So, when I found NeW I was very excited because i had a group of girls that I could discuss different things with, who wouldn’t attack me or who wouldn’t get mad at me; I actually had friends who’d get mad at me because I was conservative and not talk to me, and I found that to be a little bit ridiculous. So when I was asked to be the president of NeW at the end of the semester fall 2014, I jumped on it because I think NeW’s message is very important to young women of any political philosophy, so I was honored to become the president of NeW.  

HCAU: Were you involved with NeW last year? What was your experience like? 

KC: Yes, I was involved with NeW last year. I actually became involved after the involvement fair, the fall involvement fair. I was just a general member, but I went to all the events, I went to all the meetings, and I absolutely loved it. Rebecca Gonzalez who founded the chapter and who was president at the time actually asked me if I could step up as president, because she had to leave because of work-related reasons at the end of the fall semester last year. I jumped on the opportunity, because as a freshman, I was already so excited and so enthusiastic about the club and I had so many ideas of how we could run it and how we could make it better. So I took advantage of that opportunity. 

HCAU: What are you responsibilities as president? 

KC: My responsiblity is to number one, communicate with the national chapter. So I am in very close contact with Karen Agnes who founded NeW, and I actually ended up interning there over the summer, so I have very good connections with them. On campus I am responsible for promoting NeW’s message, running club meetings, setting up different types of speakers; we are trying to get in a lot of different types of speakers this year. And then, just kind of forging NeW’s message and creating a message for us to run off of. So for example this year we are pushing big intellectual diversity and women’s empowerment. Last year we pushed women’s conservatism, but I actually think that intellectual diversity is more important, because I think that’s what this campus is lacking. We have a lot of empowered women, and they should be empowered to speak whatever they believe.  

HCAU: What’s it like working with the other e-board members on the team? Is it fun planning different events with them? 

KC: Oh it’s wonderful! They make the experience so much better, they are the best group of girls. I honestly could not have asked for a better e-board for a better team this year. So I am very blessed. 

HCAU: Would you consider being president again next year? Has it been a fun experience for you? 

KC: It has been a great experience, and I actually think that passing NeW along is something really important at the end of the year. So, at the end of the year I’ll have been president for three semesters. So, I think that it’ll be time for someone else to kind of bring in new ideas and bring up new things, but I have loved being president of NeW. But I do think that it is important for new girls to get in and get involved. So, I will probably not be running for president next year. 

HCAU: What advice do you have for someone who might be interested in taking on a leadersip positition in a club or some other organization but they aren’t really sure how to go about it/they might even be a bit hesitant to? 

KC: So if anybody is interested in getting involved with a club, the biggest thing is go to all of or as many events as you can, talk to the president and talk to the other e-board members and get in with them, and just be really enthusiastic when you’re there and excited. For example, I was very excited about NeW and I went as much as I could, and Rebecca and the other e-board members saw that. So when you show them that you’re devoted and that you’re happy and excited to be a member, they’ll want you to do whatever you can because you make the club look good. So, that’s definitely a way, even if you’re a little bit hesitant or nervous, just get involved and show them that you care about their message and that you want to be there. 

Photo Credits: 1, Krista Chavez; 2, Alexis Doyle