Jackie Moran ’14: The Day of the Girl Summit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Jackie Moran is a senior at American University and an upcoming speaker at The Day of the Girl Summit, an event taking place at AU on October 11. It’s a campus-wide conversation about the issues facing young women domestically and abroad. The event is sponsored by She’s The First of AU and Her Campus AU. Don’t miss out! Many important issues will be debated and great speakers are lined up.

Do you want to do this type of work in your future career?

As an international development concentration, I definitely want to pursue this type of work. Empowering women and girls through education and leadership programs to be change agents in their communities is how I hope to make a difference after graduation in May.

What do underprivileged girls lack in their education?

Many girls aren’t even given the opportunity to attend school. Poverty plays a major role in this factor. When families are deciding which child they can afford to send to school, they almost always choose their sons. We must show that educated girls, in developing countries especially, can be assets to their families and their communities. Girls are not the problem, they are the solution.

What does Vital Voices do?

The mission of Vital Voices is to identify, invest in, and bring visibility to extraordinary women around the world by unleashing their leadership potential to transform lives and accelerate peace and prosperity in their communities.

What do you do as an intern at Vital Voices?

I am an intern in the Global Leadership Network. The GLN department oversees all global initiatives at Vital Voices. The majority of these programs provide mentoring for female leaders across the world. I provide logistical support for these programs and research program sites, communication strategies, and mentorship curriculums. 

Why should people go to the Day of the Girl Summit?

Because it is going to be awesome!! She’s the First’s Day of the Girl Summit is in honor of the second annual International Day of the Girl. Our summit will host professors, nonprofit, and student speakers who are all working on issues facing girls in developing countries! There will be five panels: access to education, economic empowerment, gender-based violence, women’s health and female political participation. We will also host an organization fair highlighting campus and nonprofit organizations working on women’s issues that you can get involved in! 

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.