This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We’re a month into 2015, and let’s be honest: those New Year’s Resolutions from January aren’t going so well. With a new load of classes, jobs, and activities, it can be tough to find time to work out. A great way to do this is to try group fitness classes, offered through the Jacobs Fitness Center and the Cassell Fitness Center. Group fitness classes allow you to try a different type of workout with the guidance of an instructor, and AU offers a pass for $65 which will allow you to attend as many classes as many times as you want. This past week, I’ve tried out a few that stuck out to me to see how they really are.

Step & Sculpt

The first class I tried this semester was Step & Sculpt. AU offers two different sections: Mondays at 4:30 with Sam and Wednesday at 4:30 with Julie. It’s a new class this semester, and combines step aerobics with muscle conditioning. I tried out the Monday class with Sam, and it was a great workout. Because it combines cardio with muscle conditioning, I felt like I really got a complete workout. Sam pushes everyone in the class to work as hard as they can, even when the step aerobic choreography is a little tough to follow. It is more on the intensive side, but the class leaves you feeling great (and a little sore).

Tabata

Tabata is a type of HIIT, or high intensity interval training. The class is only 30 minutes, while most group exercise classes are a full hour. Basically, the class will work through different sets of exercises, from push-ups to jumping jacks, alternating between 20 seconds of working out and 10 seconds of resting. AU offers Tabata classes Thursday at 4:30PM with Anjali and Fridays at 12:15 with Samantha. It sounds a little intimidating, but the class is all about going at your own pace and trying your best. I’m a fairly lazy person, so I love having a class that’s only 30 minutes but still a complete workout. The different exercises work arms, legs, or abs, so you can work a variety of areas with one workout session.

Bollywood Dance

Okay, I’ll admit, I mostly tried this because of my recent addiction to Bollywood movies. But after trying it out, I plan on making it a part of my regular workout routine. Bollywood Dance was very similar to jumba classes I’ve tried at my local gym at home, the only major difference being we dance to Hindi music rather than American pop music. Bollywood Dance is offered on Saturdays at 10:00AM with Nirali, and though it may seem early for the weekend, it is worth it. While this class may not be quite as intense as Step & Sculpt or Tabata, it’s a great way to squeeze some cardio into your weekend. The music and dances you learn are lots of fun, even if you don’t have any form of dancing skills.

These three classes are the only ones I’ve tried so far, but AU offers a wide range of group fitness classes for you to try. Good luck out there!

Photo credits: Cover1, 2, 3