Elizabeth Williams ’16: Rising Model and World Traveler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Junior Elizabeth Williams, originally from Louisville, Kentucky, is an International Studies major with a double minor in International Business and Spanish. She is also the latest cover girl for AU’s IT Magazine. While this is her first experience modeling, she is certainly open to doing so again, while staying active in other clubs such as Phi Mu and EagleTHON.  

Her Campus American University: Tell us a little about yourself. 

Elizabeth Williams: I am a junior from Louisville, Kentucky (home of the Kentucky Derby and Jennifer Lawrence).  I am currently majoring in International Studies and double minoring in International Business and Spanish. I’m studying abroad next semester in Brussels, Belgium and am super excited because I have a huge passion for traveling and learning about new cultures. I am always up for exploring new cities and adventures in general.

HCAU: How did you get involved with IT Magazine?

EW: Last semester one of my friends mentioned that a new student club was coming to American University that focused on the creation of a student produced and operated fashion magazine. I grew up reading teen magazines like Seventeen Magazine like many other girls and thought that it was such a cool idea to create a campus fashion magazine. I knew I wanted to get involved somehow with the magazine and messaged my friend about how to get involved. She mentioned that they were having their first photo shoot in a few weeks and asked if I would be interested in modeling for it. I said yes because I am always up for new experiences and ended up having an amazing time. A few weeks ago, my friend asked if I wanted to do another shoot with IT magazine and I agreed without hesitation to do a second shoot since I had such a great experience during the first time.

HCAU: Can you tell us a little bit about the process of a typical IT Magazine photo shoot?

EW: The process is actually very relaxed and really fun! Since it’s a student run magazine, AU students are responsible for doing all the makeup, creating the outfits, doing hair, arranging the lighting and set, and also for the photography. The atmosphere is really upbeat with music playing in the background and people laughing and just enjoying what they’re passionate about. The makeup and outfits are always on point and it’s fun to dress up and just have fun behind the camera while the photographer takes pictures. There’s no pressure at all because the whole staff is so chill and nice, so it makes modeling for IT magazine a blast.

HCAU: Have you modeled before?

EW: Just for the previous IT magazine photo shoot last Spring 2013 semester.

HCAU: Would you ever consider writing for IT Magazine or another publication on campus?

EW: Definitely! I think writing is a great way for people to voice their opinions and interests. In particular, IT magazine features some very well written and interesting articles written by students. The articles range from beauty tips to fashion to music to activities to do in the city to food to basically you name it! Since there’s such diversity of topics that IT magazine writes about I would definitely be interested in writing for them.

HCAU: What are some other groups you are involved in on campus?

EW: I am a part of Phi Mu and am the External Director for EagleTHON in addition to interning. In March, American University is hosting our very own Dance Marathon fundraising event to help raise money for Children Miracle Network Hospitals. Dance Marathon is an inspiring national event and our school has decided to bring the event back to AU to help support such a great cause and kids in need. EagleTHON recently began tabling to help raise awareness of our event, and will continue to release more information within the next few weeks for those interested in helping prepare for the event and for those who want to attend the event in the spring. So keep your eyes open for more info!

HCAU: What are some of your future goals, and does your experience modeling factor into those goals in some way?

EW: My future goals are to continue to travel as much as possible and begin to prepare myself for graduation and the real world (terrifying I know). I am passionate about international relations and diplomacy so know that my future goals will revolve around my field of interest. I haven’t considered modeling for a future career, but am open-minded and definitely would consider any modeling opportunities that might be presented in the future.

With such big goals and dreams, this is definitely not the last we’ll see of Elizabeth Williams. 

Imagesprovided by author

Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible.