Chelsea Williamson ’15: President of the Kogod Marketing Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American: Tell us a little bit about yourself (hometown, major…):

Chelsea Williamson: Well, I am basically what I like to call a global nomad. I am the child of military parents, so I’ve lived almost everywhere. But, probably my favorite places I’ve lived have been Madrid and Hawaii. I graduated from high school in Madrid, but now my family currently calls Houston, Texas home. Also, I am a Public Communications major with a minor in Marketing.

HCAU: You are the President of the Kogod Marketing Association, tell us about your experience in that position?

CW: As the President of the KMA, my biggest concern was spreading awareness. It’s so cool that there is an organization on campus that allows anyone interested in marketing to get first hand experience, hear from amazing speakers, and get to network with D.C. professionals. So, my goal is to up the involvement of the members in the group, and to make it an active environment that everyone can see the value in joining. The biggest challenge while in this role is probably getting noticed as an active and growing group in the Kogod community, one that is both professional and fun, and can really help its members.

HCAU: What other clubs or organizations are you involved with?

CW: Other than being involved with the KMA, I am also a part of the Hawaii Club and the co-coordinator of the 2014 National Conference of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). This national conference is held every year, and basically is a huge gathering of all PRSSA chapters in one location. This year, we were able to get to hold the conference in D.C. for the coming October, and participants from around the world will be able to attend sessions, workshops, and network with public relations professionals. Usually, over 1,000 members attend; I highly recommend any PR majors to become involved, as the connections you make being part of this conference are really helpful as you enter the professional work world.

HCAU: What do you see yourself doing in the future, and do you have any advice for incoming college students?

CW: My hope for the future is to become an agent and represent athletes through sports marketing. And for incoming students, or just anyone, the most important thing you can do is make relationships with your professors. Yes, it’s important to get involved in clubs and make connections with professionals, but I’ve found that building networks with teachers that know you are a great advantage.

HCAU: Who is your biggest inspiration?

CW: For sure my Mom. She is one of the strongest women I know and has accomplished so much in her life. She has worked her way up to a high rank in the military, a goal that many women have, but that not many can achieve. I look up to her so much as a role model and inspiration. 

HCAU: Random fact?

CW: I love playing video games! Madden all the way!