Can’t Miss Movies To Watch Before The Year Is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Although the year is coming to an end, there are still plenty of great movies to catch! Here is a list of movies you should definitely watch before the year ends:

1. Spotlight (November 6)

Spotlight tells the true, hard hitting story of how the Boston Globe newspaper uncovered the innumerable scandals of child molestation in the Christian Church’s. Aside from being a riveting story, Rachel Mcadams, Stanley Tucci, Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Liev Schreiber and Brian d’Arcy James all star in it. If that’s not enough to make you want to see it I don’t know what is.

2. Hunger Games Mocking Jay – Part 2 (November 20)

Truthfully, the only reason this is on the list is because my inner middle school self is telling me I need to finish what I started. Katniss (Jennifer Lawarence), Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), and Gale (Liam Hemsworth) team up one last time to take down President Snow and save Panem once and for all. Can Katniss be the savior everyone thinks she is in the epic ending of this saga?

3. The Night Before (November 20)

This crazy filled comedy brings together Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, and Anthony Mackie as childhood best friends who have a tradition of spending Christmas Eve together. When they all come to the realization that this tradition is coming to an end they go on a hunt for one last Christmas party that will be the best night of their lives.

4. The Danish Girl (November 27)

Set in the 1920s in Copenhagen The Danish Girl tells the story of one of the first sex-change operations in history. Eddie Reymayne plays a painter named Einer, later turned Lili and Alicia Vikander plays his wife Gerda. They come to a crossroads in their marriage when Einer realizes he does not feel right in his body and wants to transition into a woman. This epic, life changing story is not only about the topic of transgender but about what you will do for someone you love.

5. The Big Short (December 11)

In 2005 the world had the biggest economic collapse of its time. Four outsiders played by Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, and Steve Carell-ignored by all, knew it was coming. The Big Short puts a comedic spin on the financial crisis and how underdogs can sometimes win the war against the big guys.

6. Sisters (December 18)

It’s Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. They play middle aged sisters who are trying to relive their glory days and host an epic party no one will forget. Enough Said.

7. Joy (December 25)

I’ll admit, I wasn’t the biggest fan of American Hustle or Silver Linings Playbook. And Joy is directed by the same director, David O’Russell. I was initially hesistant about this movie, because I didn’t know if it would be another repetitive movie. But after watching the trailer, I was hooked and immensely intrigued. Lawrence plays Joy, a widowed woman who takes life by the throat by founding a business dynasty and becomes the ultimate girl boss while doing it.

8. Concussion (December 25)

This dramatic thriller could possibly re-launch Will Smith’s acting career and get him an Oscar nomination as well. Smith stars in Concussion as Dr. Bennet Omalu, a first of his kind forensic neuropathologist who discovers a football-related brain trauma called CTE, in a pro player. Omalu goes up against one of the biggest institutions in the world (The NFL). Risking his life he fights for the uncovering of this diagnosis and for the public to know what the NFL is hiding.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8