7 Reasons We Can’t Wait for October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Sugar, pumpkin spice, and everything nice! October is right around the corner and we couldn’t be more excited. From Halloween to the autumn scenery, here are seven reasons we can’t wait for this month. 

1. Sweater Weather

It’s time to pull out your comfiest winter wear from the back of your closet as the chilly weather starts to set in. From the striped classic to a comfy statement sweater, everyone has a favorite style. Pair your sweater with cute leggings and boots for a casual look, or a skirt and knee-highs or tights for flirty and fun fall outfit. 

2. Pumpkin Flavored Everything

The change in the weather, midterms, and autumn leaves are not so much the signaling of the arrival of fall anymore as the much anticipated return of the pumpkin spice latte. The famous seasonal drink, served September through the New Year, even has its own twitter account. While the PSL may be the most coveted pumpkin item of the fall, there are plenty of other seasonal pumpkin flavored items such as Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts, pumpkin marshmallows, m&m’s, and even Pumpkin Oreos. Don’t forget the original pumpkin pie either!

3. These Cookies 

Grab your baking sheets girls, these Pillsbury seasonal sweets are back in season.  

4. The Scenery 

October’s arrival also means the start of the seasonal change. From the changing leaves to the crisp autumn air, the weather is a welcome relief from the summer heat. Whether you are studying, exercising, or hanging out with friends, October is the perfect month to spend some time outdoors.

5. New Seasons of Your Favorite Shows

Grab your pumpkin flavored popcorn (It’s a thing, really) because from Scandal to The Walking Dead, fall, especially October, brings with it a dose of drama and entertainment. Old favorites like Criminal Minds and American Horror Story will be making their debut this month, along with new series like MTV’s Happyland and Fox’s Gotham. 

6. Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October isn’t only about seasonal treats and sweaters, it is also a time to start planning for the future and protecting your health. Breast Cancer Awareness Month was created to not only increase awareness of the disease but to raise funds for research and prevention. Much of the proceeds from events hosted by The Breast Cancer Research Foundation go towards survivors as well. You can find out about events in your area and how you can help at nationalbreastcancer.org.

7. Halloween

Trick or treat! October saves the very best for last with everyone’s favorite holiday (besides Christmas of course) at the end of the month. However, you don’t have to wait until then to get your Halloween on. Stores have already stocked up on Halloween candy and decorations. Get in the spirit of the season and decorate your dorm room with spooky decor. If you are on a budget, there are great DIY Halloween ideas as well! Some popular costume ideas for the 2014 season so far are Nicki Minaji in “Anaconda,” Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” look, and Miley’s Bangerz Tour outfits.  

Photo Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Kari is currently a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and a contributing writer to Her Campus American. She enjoys trolling tinder, chocolate chip pancakes, and Keeping Up with Kardashians.