7 Reasons to Check Out Taste of DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Sprawling down four blocks of Pennsylvania Avenue, from Oct. 10 – 11, Washingtonians can enjoy a culinary and cultural festival!

Taste of DC is bringing over 60 Washington, D.C., area eateries to Pennsylvania Ave. to serve up to four items from their menus, all priced at $3 or less. Along with this “Restaurant Row,” there will be a Beer Garden & Music Stage with live entertainment, Wine Walk for all you 21+ oenophiles, and a Culinary Stage with live cooking demos. 

If you’re sticking around D.C. for fall break, there’s no reason not to stop by Taste of DC and check it out (Her Campus American readers get a special discount)! To all of you who need a little more convincing, I have very helpfully compiled seven reasons why you should get a taste of Taste of DC (the reasons are better than my puns, I promise): 

1. The food, of course

D.C. is known for our amazing restaurant options and foodie culture. From local favorites like Ben’s Chili Bowl and District Doughnut to standbys like Sprinkles and ShopHouse Kitchen, Taste of DC has endless options to get your mouth watering.

2. The competition

Major League Eating is presenting the 2015 installment of Ben’s Chili Bowl’s World Chili Eating Championship! Last year, Joey Chestnut ate 1.875 gallons of Ben’s Chili Bowl chili. Are you a member of the U.S. Armed Services? Represent your branch of service at the competition! Not a competitive eater? That’s okay – you have to admit, it’d be pretty fascinating to watch from afar!

3. The entertainment

Taste of DC is bringing some of the District’s most buzzworthy groups to entertain the crowds on both days of the festival. Check out Sub Radio Standard, Cheaper Than Therapy, The Muddy Crows and more! Support the city’s local talent while eating Olivia’s Macarons!

4. The deals

Three dollars and less to taste some of D.C.’s best food? I’m in. On top of that, a ticket gets you admission to the festival, a complimentary beer, wine, soda, or water, one free rice/noodle/salad bowl from any ShopHouse, and access to all the amazing offers Taste of DC is providing. 

5. Help a good cause

Taste of DC’s charity partner is Brainfood, a non-profit youth development organization in Washington, D.C. Through culinary activities, it promotes and empowers youth to become resrouces in their communities. 

6. You can volunteer

Volunteers sign up to work one of two days. Working Saturday gets you free admission on Sunday, and working Sunday gets you free admission on Saturday. Sign up and help out!

7. Her Campus American readers get a special offer!

Taste of DC is offering a special deal our awesome Her Campus readers – follow this link, and with the promo code “Her Campus,” get $5 off your ticket price! 

So what are you waiting for? Get your ticket now. See you there!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4