7 Movies That Are Bound to Convert You to a Halloweenie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Here we are at last; the season of bright orange pumpkins, colorful leaves, comfy sweaters, and most importantly, Halloween.

Halloween brings with it a variety of costumes, candy, and some of the best movies the world of entertainment has to offer. However, not all of these movies revolve around trick-or-treating and crazy costumes. Maybe you’re not a total Halloweenie yet, but take a look at this list of classics that are bound to convert you, or at least get you into a spooky mood just in time for the season of mischief and horror.

1. “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” (1966)

A classic that’ll be sure to have you reminiscing on the good ol’ days before Halloween when your mom would let you stay up late and watch this one on ABC Family. “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” is all about our childhood friends, The Peanuts gang, and how they prepare for the arrival of the Great Pumpkin.

2. “Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

Another oldie-but-goodie that’s sure to get you into the Halloween spirit is “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”  After a newly engaged couple’s car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they wind up discovering the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a transvestite scientist, and all he has to offer in his house of horrors.

3. “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984)

One true creepy horror movie needed to be added to this list in the name of Halloween. This movie is a nightmare waiting to happen, with people being hunted down by a serial killer who only murders his victims in their dreams. For those not cut out for the horror scenes, know that this movie also stars a young Johnny Depp (already receiving a 10/10 in my book).

4. “Beetlejuice” (1988)

Though not exactly a Halloween movie, “Beetlejuice” is sure to get you into the spooky mood of the season.  As newly deceased ghosts, you can imagine how annoying it must be to have a living couple take over your house, so the happily dead couple in this movie enlist the help of a “bio-exorcist” to get rid of the intruders.

5. “The Addams Family” (1991)

“The Addams Family” encompasses the epitome of the traditional spooky-goth-family that Halloween craves. This highly eccentric family faces trouble when a ‘long lost brother’ mysteriously enters into the lives of the Addams family and gets them evicted from their home.  After a series of unfortunate and unusual events, Gomez Addams takes charge in taking care of the evil that is his so-called ‘brother’.

6. “Hocus Pocus” (1993)

Even the most hyped movies deserve an honorable mention and “Hocus Pocus” is one of these.  This movie delves into the world of three resurrected Salem witch sisters who wish to take revenge on those who wronged them in the past as well as gain eternal youth by sucking out the souls of children; but have no fear, the teenagers are always here (and ready to take them down).

7. “Practical Magic” (1998)

With two of the most iconic actresses of all time as leads, Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, anyone can be converted to a Halloweenie by watching this movie. As two sister witches, they rarely ever use the abilities granted to them, but when one of their lovers unexpectedly dies, the two try to resurrect him and end up making the situation deadlier than it was before.

Happy watching, and Happy Halloween!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Amber Khalid is a Freshman at American University in Washington, DC who is currently studying International Relations. She's a total art history nerd, frequent world traveler, thrift junkie, and bird connoisseur.  She lives for all things fashion, on and off the runway, and can do makeup like it's no one's business.  In her free time, you can find her watching beauty gurus on YouTube in her dorm room or cramming for an Arabic test in her local Barnes and Noble.