7 American Natural Wonders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

From the California coast to the wide open plains of the midwest to the sandy beaches of Florida, the United States is filled with beautiful and breathtaking places to visit. Over spring break, my family and I took a visit to Yosemite National Park. I was embarrassed to say that it took me 18 years to visit this magnificent national park that is just a three-hour drive away from my home. We tend to get caught up in the idea of the romanticized trips to Europe or Asia, and forget how many natural wonders are right here in our backyard. Summer is just around the corner, and if you are looking for somewhere to visit without a passport, look no further than these seven natural wonders found right here in the United States.

1. Grand Canyon National Park

The Grand Canyon, with its beautiful red rocks, attacks millions of tourists every year. People can hike across the canyon, ride a mule down to the bottom of the canyon, or go on a whitewater rafting trip. Summer, early fall or late spring are the best times to visit the canyon. I would not recommend visiting the Grand Canyon in the winter due to cold temperatures and possible fog that may appear in the canyon. 

2. Yosemite National Park 

Yosemite is a beautiful national park located in the middle of California. The park is known for its marvelous waterfalls and granite rocks. Its most famous sites are Half Dome and El Capitan. The park is open year round and visitors can do various activities such as hiking, biking, and rock climbing. The best time to visit Yosemite is in the early fall when the temperatures are warm, but not to hot, and there is little chance of rain. 

3. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls, located on the border of Canada and the United States, is a phenomenal waterfall with 750,000 gallons of water falling over the falls every second! In addition to taking in the beauty and magnitude of Niagara Falls, there are hiking trails and dining at the Top of the Falls Restaurant. Niagara Falls is beautiful all year round; however, many of the attractions are closed during the winter months, making it your perfect destination this summer. 

4. Yellowstone National Park 

Yellowstone National Park, located in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, holds many wonders including geysers such as Old Faithful, waterfalls, mountain ranges, lakes, and rivers. The park is also home to many types of wildlife including grizzly bears, wolves, bison and elk. As America’s first national park, it is a great place to camp, hike and explore America’s natural beauty.

5. Whidbey Island, Washington

If you love nature but are not ready to rough and tough it out in the wilderness, Whidbey Island is the place for you. Located 30 miles north of Seattle, this island has Washington State Parks, festivals such as the Island County Fair and Whidbey Island Kite Festival, and vineyards galore. It is a great place for anyone looking to explore the magic of the Pacific northwest. 

6. Crater Lake, Oregon

Crater Lake, located in southern Oregon, is over 1,148 feet deep and was formed with the collapse of Mount Mazama volcano over 7,000 years ago. The lake is located in Crater Lake National Park; however, if you don’t have time to spend exploring the park, the pure blue beauty of the lake is enough to make the trip out there. 

7. Acadia National Park 

Acadia National Park, located along the coast of Maine, has breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and diverse wildlife and plants. The park offers camping, hiking, and even biking along historic roads. If you have never been to Maine, a visit to Acadia National Park is a perfect excuse to do so. 

Here are just a few out of the many natural wonders located in the United States. Take this summer as an opportunity to go out and explore all the amazing landmarks this nation has to offer.

Photo Credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7