19 Best Non-Touristy Places in LA to Visit over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Having lived my whole life in L.A., I’ve spent a lot of time dealing with tourists. And half the time, tourists waste their time at the wrong places. Spring Break is the perfect time to visit L.A. since the weather will still be great and (hopefully) not too hot. So, as a native, I’m here to give you the best places to go if you find yourself in the land of 65-and-sunny this Spring Break.

Note: Los Angeles, if you hadn’t noticed, is huge. While this list doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of things to do in L.A., here’s your semi-complete guide to the best things to do in L.A. by neighborhood. (BTW, 818 Pride.) (We have this silly thing in L.A. where people really care about your area code.)

If you’re on the Westside…

Westside = Santa Monica, Malibu, Topanga, West Hollywood, and Culver City (though technically the last two are their own cities)

1. Zuma Beach, Malibu

One of the best beaches in L.A. is Zuma Beach. It’s super clean, beautiful, and if you go to Free Zuma, you don’t have to pay for parking. If you’re here in the summer, avoid weekday mornings since summer camps tend to take over the beaches, and you might want to wait until after noon to go anyway to wait for the marine layer to burn off. The beach, ironically, actually can get pretty cold, especially in the morning and the evening. Bring layers and plenty of sunscreen!

You can also drive through Malibu’s gorgeous neighborhoods and go to Pointe Dume. Parking may be a bit of a mess here and it’s not really for swimming, but the views are amazing and definitely a must if you’re into photography (or really just into beautiful beaches.)

Note: Whatever you do, do not go swimming at the Santa Monica beach or Venice beach! They’re both right of the boardwalk and are not clean. Malibu’s beaches are much cleaner and tend to less crowded. Save Santa Monica and Venice for the walking around the boardwalks.

2. Malibu Creek State Park, Malibu

Malibu Creek Park is beautiful and perfect for hiking, mountain biking, picnicking or swimming. The trails get pretty steep so this isn’t the glam-hiking that you’ll find at Runyon or Fryman Canyon. If you follow the trail, you’ll end up in the clearing where M*A*S*H was filmed, but to be honest, that’s pretty anti-climatic when compared to the rest of the park. Depending on the time of the year, the actual creek in the park might have enough water to go swimming. Regardless of the time of year you’re going, be sure to check the park’s guide to plants to avoid as well as any animals to watch out for – you might run into everything from snakes to coyotes!

3. Hidden Treasures, Topanga Canyon

Hidden Treasures is one of the wackiest stores you’ll find in one of the wackiest places in L.A. – Topanga Canyon. While traversing Topanga Canyon’s switchbacks and mountain roads, don’t forget to stop by this ultra cool store tucked away next to Topanga’s only shopping center.

4. The Troubadour, Whiskey A Go Go, and The Roxy, West Hollywood

I’m lumping these all together because they’re all historic night clubs on Santa Monica Blvd and the Sunset Strip, respectively. There’s always great shows playing here and and usually you can find shows for pretty cheap. These venues are all relatively small, so the shows here are pretty intimate, which is great if you’re seeing your favorite band. They’re all general admission, so be sure to get there early to get in line. But while you’re waiting there are plenty of great restaurants to hold you over until the show.

Notable mentions: Tito’s Tacos Mexican Restaurant, Culver City; Hamburger Mary’s, West Hollywood

If you’re Downtown…

DTLA = Chinatown, Fashion District, Little Tokyo, Bunker Hill, etc.

5. Los Angeles Central Library, 5th and Flower

The L.A. Public Library is absolutely gorgeous and boasts some of the most beautiful art and architecture in DTLA. The gardens alone are amazing and if you don’t look closely, you’ll miss all the intricacies. There is so much to be said about everything you could see here, so some highlights are: the Grotto Fountain, the Zodiac Chandelier/California History Murals, and the Atrium Chandeliers in the Tom Bradley Wing (the newest part of the library after a massive fire in 1986 destroyed nearly a fifth of the library’s holdings.) Do your research before visiting so you don’t miss anything!

6. Philippe The Original, Alameda and Main

A true classic. Just between Chinatown and Olvera St., you can’t miss Phillippe. Stop here for the best French Dip sandwich you’ve ever had, a 99¢ cup of coffee, and delicious French Toast. I wish I could eat here everyday.

7. Grand Park, From Grand to Spring between 1st and Temple

Situated with the Walt Disney Concert Hall and The Music Center on one end and City Hall on the other, Grand Park is one of DTLA’s newest additions. There’s always tons of free shows and events going on here, especially in the summer. It’s the perfect place to relax and cool off, complete with fountains, wading pools and picnic tables.

Notable mentions: Grand Central Market, The Last Bookstore, Olvera St, Union Station

If you’re in West LA…

West LA = Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, Cheviot Hills

8. The Original Farmers Market, 3rd Street

The Grove always has a mob of tourists, but hidden inside the Americana exterior is one of the best places to get food. Whatever your tastes, The Original Farmers Market, even if leaning on the touristy side, has everything you could possibly imagine from French food to Vietnamese food to Brazilian food. I’m getting hungry just thinking of this place.

9. Thrift Shopping on Melrose Ave

Melrose Ave, now synonymous with marijuana dispensaries, is still the place to go for great thrift shopping. In between shops, skip Pink’s Hot Dogs and stop by the original Johnny Rockets. Melrose is a trip no matter what time of the day you go, and it goes all the way from West LA to West Hollywood.

Notable mentions: Wilshire Blvd; UCLA, Westwood; Fat Sal’s Deli, Westwood

If you’re on the Eastside…

*Everyone in LA has a different idea of where the Eastside is and to be completely honest, I’m not sure I’ll ever have a clear idea of where exactly it is.

Eastside = Echo Park, Silver Lake, Los Feliz

10. The Rose Gardens at the Los Angeles County Natural History Museum, Exposition and Vermont

Okay, this really is a stretch to call the Eastside considering it’s South LA/Exposition Park, but I’m going for it anyway and really, I just wanted to get some representation for the Eastside, even if it is the quasi-Eastside. The Rose Gardens are beautiful, super picturesque, and are a great way to spend some time outside if you’ve been wandering around the Natural History Museum or the California Science Center (where Space Shuttle Endeavour is housed) all day.

11. Dodger Stadium, Chavez Ravine

Again, I have no clue if this actual counts as the Eastside, and it’s probably a stretch, but I couldn’t pass up putting this on the list. While this may seem like an obvious choice, I’m a die-hard Dodgers fan and I always cherish baseball games complete with Dodger Dogs and soft serve ice cream.

Notable mentions: Echo Park Lake (sorry Eastside)

If you’re in Hollywood…

*Usually I avoid Hollywood like the plague but these few place are worth the trip into tourist hell.

12. Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles, Sunset and Gower

There’s a reason this place is famous and Obama eats here. It is so good. Everything here tastes like it descended from the heavens (probably because most of it is slathered in butter.) Get here about an hour before you think you’ll be hungry because that’s how long you’ll have to wait to get a seat. But it’s so worth it.

13. Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, Franklin and Bronson

The Los Angeles branch of the comedy club started by none other than Amy Poehler, UCB has nightly shows. Come by Fridays at midnight, and you can get in for free. Be warned though: the shows are free because this is the company members trying out their sketches for the first time. Even if all the sketches aren’t spot on, the experience is still lots of fun and the audience that will surely be drunk is always a laugh.

Notable mentions: Scientology buildings; nothing else, leave this place

If you’re in the San Fernando Valley…

*I am partial to the Valley since I grew up here. The Valley sometimes gets a bad rap, but in reality, it’s one of those iconic places in L.A. and living here is really a rite of passage. And we have cool people/things here, too! Paul Thomas Anderson lives in the hills of Tarzana, the legendary Sound City Studios is in Van Nuys, and tons more…

The Valley = North Los Angeles

14. Crave Cafe, Studio City and Sherman Oaks

I have eaten many meals at Crave. Crave sort of has a weird cult following in the Valley, and since it’s open 24 hours, it’s always there for you when you have a…craving for it (I couldn’t help myself.) Their crepes and chai lattes are a must.

15. Bounce Boba Loft, Northridge

I’ve gone here countless times after school and this place has the best boba around (people on the east coast call it bubble tea? I don’t understand.) Anyway, they have a huge range of flavors, types of teas, and different drinks, as well as really good food. And right next door is some of the best ramen I’ve ever had.

16. Universal City Overlook/Mulholland Scenic Overlook, Mulholland Drive

There are a ton of these overlooks, especially in the Valley, from Top o’ Topanga to the Reseda overlook in Tarzana. This one is especially cool because it overlooks Universal City and the southeast side of the Valley. It’s a nice, pretty place to relax. The views at night are also really pretty. For more space to hang out, check out the Reseda overlook. For views of the opposite side of the valley, go to Topanga.

Notable mentions: Leonis Adobe Ranch, Calabasas; Bell Canyon Park, West Hills; Joe’s Cafe, Granada Hills; Ventura Blvd

And beyond…

17. The Huntington Library, San Marino

It’s a little bit of a hike to get to the Huntington Library, but it’s so worth it. The gardens here are absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a walk on a spring day (or really any day) and have everything from a Rose Garden to a Japanese Garden to a Shakespeare Garden. The museum itself is beautiful and you can spend an entire day going through its art collections.

18. Old Pasadena/Eagle Rock

The area around Occidental College, Eagle Rock and Old Street Pasadena has the vibe of both a cool college area and a great place to shop and eat. Oxy’s campus itself is gorgeous and definitely worth a walk around.

Anywhere…

19. IN-N-OUT BURGER

ACTUAL NECTAR OF THE GODS. I need a double double and fries, all animal style, right now.

Photo Credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

International Relations major and Arabic Language and English Literature minor. Wannable world-traveler/foodie. Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley-native currently struggling through Washington, DC's mild winters.